SRS How depressed do you need to be for it to be reasonable to go on an antidepressant?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Taylor, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Taylor

Taylor Guest

I have been dealing with depression off and on for periods of a week or two to up to a couple of months for about 4 years. I've been more depressed than I ever have been before for about 2-3 weeks now, and my schoolwork, sleeping habits, and eating habits have all suffered as a result. I'm not interested in the hobbies and interests that I used to love. I've been doing a lot of self-examination (writing in a journal) and a lot of talking to friends with psychology backgrounds trying to deal with my problems. The issue is, I don't know how to deal with it. I feel helpless and I am tired of talking it out. I feel like I have nothing more to say. I have examined ad nauseum the root issues that keep making me depressed and I'm aware of the things that are causing my low self esteem and depression. I just don't know how to turn that around into making myself better. I've been too accustomed to just feeling like crap. I don't remember what it was like to not feel horrible when anything goes slightly bad in my life.

Several people have suggested that I may want to see a psychiatrist because antidepressants may help me out a lot (people with personal experience with SSRIs helping them with depression). However there are a few people who do not believe I am "depressed enough" that I need to "resort to" that kind of treatment, and instead insist that I see a counselor instead (I have seen the counselor at my college twice and he is horrible - I refuse to go back, I have seen Intro Psych students more capable of counseling).

I don't think that an antidepressant would hurt me, and it may help me a lot. The way I see it, if it doesn't work, the worst case is I'll be right back to where I am now. If it does work, I will be better equipped to deal with my problems in a reasonable mindset rather than letting them help me spiral further into depression.

Thoughts?

2. Kyoushu

Kyoushu きょうしゅ

I started Zoloft probably 3 weeks ago. I can't really tell if it's done much for me though. I've been depressed off and on but alot of it has come from my situation in life. You know, things that make you depressed. Though I'm taking it more to relieve my social anxiety which also made me depressed because of how I felt. I got fed up with how I was feeling. I'd say it's helped though. One thing that I know would really help me is to get out and do some things that I need to do but I don't necessarily want to. Like with my school. One of the main things that made me seek help from medicine was as much as I read, I felt that if I left it alone I could just get alot worse and I didn't really have much to lose. Zoloft is pretty mild I hear. You're in a much better boat then I as you are actually doing SOMETHING. I know what you mean about becoming accustomed to feeling down. I've been this way off and on for atleas 6 years. I just never felt it was THAT bad or that the way I felt was normal. But anyways hope I helped.

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Same here. Depression and social anxiety were getting worse over the past 2 years. Finally went to the dr. last week and was got an rx for prozac. Don't know if it's working yet, I feel better but that could just be a placebo effect.

4. Kyoushu

Kyoushu きょうしゅ

Yea I was thinking that too. Maybe it was in my head but it's better then nothing. :hsd:

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

prozac is maybe the one SSRI that has an immediate effect... it was marketed as Sarafem, a 'cure' for PMS problems. :rofl: they marketed it as that, but it's IDENTICAL to prozac. So it can have a quick effect.

Give SSRI's 4-6 weeks to kick in...

6. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

I recommend paxil. It works so well with seratonin that it stimulates the reputake of adrenaline too.

anxiety and depression

kill them both with a pink pill.

i actually have to say, i no longer get those sad depressive bouts since i took it. sad stuff will still make you sad. as long as you are very careful and educated about it, it's great and safe.

7. coma

coma New Member

I've tried Paxil. It made NO difference whatsoever for me, just gave me an inebriated feeling 24/7 (20mg, a standard starting dose). But, evidently it works for some people.

8. Taylor

Taylor Guest

Coma, how long were you on it?

9. coma

coma New Member

I was on it for exactly 3 weeks. I feel that it was an adequate time to judge its effectiveness. Again, it does work for some people, just not me. Your experience with SRRIs may vary.