how could the iPhone / iPod Touch make existing games more immersive?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by gui3, Sep 10, 2009.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

i heard that Madden '10 has a companion iPhone app. so i'm thinking - What if you could code for the iPhone (bluetooth/wifi) and have it connect to your console (i guess, PS3) and do something with the game as you're playing?

here are some ideas:

Fallout 3 - it's your real-time Pip-Boy, or even VATS controller. when not connected to the game, it would be full of your Pip-Boy's data, including all the notes you've received, inventory, maps and info about people you've talked to.

FPS - it could use an augmented-reality setup to act as night vision goggles, x-ray vision, etc.

GTA4 - instead of dialing your cell or receiving calls in-game, you do it via the app on your phone. so when you're driving around in the game, you get a call or SMS while the game is sitting on the seat next to you. just like real life. expand cell phone / camera use in the game. the increased difficulty of driving while texting would teach players important lessons about car safety.:p

MGS4 - manage talking to Otacon / buying weapons and ammo / managing inventory via the app without pausing the game, adding to the stress level. during the time you're dicking around in your pockets, you might get noticed.

Wipeout HD / Mario Kart / etc - as you move over powerups, it is displayed as a big button on your phone sitting next to you, and you press it to make it fire. this would enhance the "cockpit" experience.

BioShock - more augmented reality. you hold up the phone to your hand, and you see your hand/arm mutated based on whatever plasmid you're using at the time.

AT LEAST, it could serve to get rid of the HUD in virtually any game, and add it to games that could use one without interfering with the gameplay. (Far Cry 2)

Or, in a better scenario, it could expand the gameplay off-console. all of your gameplay data synced with the studio's servers would make it possible for the game to continue communicating with you, maybe even have you make some decisions that would sync up when you start the game.

For example - in any RPG - sometimes, there are too many people to talk to in an area, and you really just want to get things moving. so instead, you have these conversations out of the game - you have the ability to have conversations (essentially via text, or some other metaphor that works in-game) with people in the town that you were in or any place you've been previously. Some guy tells you that he "heard a rumor that raiders are terrorizing towns up north," which is an area you haven't yet explored. it gives you the option to add that quest to your list, and get some more info about it.

if the phone gets a real call, it would immediately pause your game.

now you go.

2. beddachedda

beddachedda life is uncertain. don't sip. OT Supporter

that would actually be incredibly fucking cool

3. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

The VMU returns a decade later.

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:dunno: Kind of sounds gimmicky to me. Why add an extra controller to do all of this when one controller works for doing all of this? Like yeah, some of this stuff COULD be potentially cool but I could see pulling out your iPhone/iTouch every time just to play a game could get old really fast.

Why? That would just annoy me... I'm already in the game, do I need to talk to the NPCs in 3 different ways? (In game, via text & maybe eventually phone call :hsugh: )

I think Natal & Sony's Motion Controller is a step in the right direction to make games more immersive. Constantly checking your phone or other device, to me, would take you OUT of the game and constantly bring you back to reality. Natal and SonyWand keep you within the game while bringing it closer to you.

It's an interesting idea though :cool: This was just my 0.02.

5. gui3

i'm not talking about it being a primary controller (although in some instances that would work; it would be an easy way to add a steering wheel to a console without buying more plastic)

obviously, since not everyone has an iphone, it would be an optional add-on. something to enhance the experience, not complicate it.

and while the RPG thing might not appeal to you, im sure it would appeal to lots of people who have trouble edging out time to sit in front of a console. do the text or VO back-story stuff when you can, save the action for the game.

6. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Yeah I know you don't mean it won't be a primary controller.

I understand what you mean by the RPG thing. Kind of. But you're taking an essential part of the RPG game, the story, out of the game and onto somethig completely different. Aren't you just left with what is essentially an action game? Or a RPG in which you enter turn-based battles, and thats it?

Just trying to play a little devil's advocate here... I think it could work. I mean, didn't Nintendo try to do something similar with the Nintendo GameBoy Advanced (and later DS) with connecting it to your Gamecube? And now the whole DS/Wii connection? It didn't seem to kick off with them though... but I guess it was because they required their portable console to be used, rather than a phone/portable entertainment deceive.

7. Fareo

Fareo New Member

all stuff the PSP was orginally going to be able to do with the PS3 :o

and now that it has bluetooth that might be a good sign as the PS3 could just see it as a controller and not have to connect to it via wifi :x:

8. gui3

right, i totally get you. maybe instead of taking the actual story out, it could be supplemental story. random BS that would happen if time really was passing in the game, etc.
    and the DSI / PSP thing - yea, these things had potential, but they don't work for me. it requires me to have too many devices, and the only device that i can really carry is the phone.
    one of the most important things about Design, for me, is simplification. one device that does many things *well.*
    additionally, the PSP and DSi have *buttons* - 10 each. what i like about the iphone is that the entire front of the device is a 100% adaptable interface. and i already have an iphone :)