GUN How cool would a rifle chambered in .338 Lapua be?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I'm thinking I want one for some reason.

2. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

it would be about as cool as a rifle chambered in .338 Lapua.

3. It would be expensive, kick like a mule, and serve no practical purpose at anything under 1000 yards. If you're going to get something huge just for fun, save up for a real nice .50BMG rifle.

4. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I was thinking a 700 with a new bolt and a nice stock.

:dunno:

Yeah, I'd imagine it would kick though and really only be useful over 1000 yards. I guess a .338 or .300 RUM would be alright, but there's something about the Lapua round.

5. The .338 Lapua is the hot thing right now, all the popular people are running it. Really though, unless you're routinely shooting past 1000 yards, aren't there better things to spend your money on?

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I'd imagine so. :hs:

As neat as it would be, I should probably just do a build in .308 Win or .300 Win Mag.

7. seismic

seismic New Member

Market Garden, designated poop on parades guy... :ugh:

8. I'm not trying to be too much of a downer, and a .338 would be cool to mess around with, but the investment in the rifle is significant, ammo is expensive as hell, unless you reload (then it's just expensive) and it's abusive to the shooter. I don't know what the barrel life on one of them is.

9. :hs::hsd:

10. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

He's got a good point, I can shoot 1000 yards in Texas at stuff but that would still be ridiculous. I'd like to have terminal performance at 1000 yards on deer though.

11. seismic

seismic New Member

Yeah, I was just joking. I'm having enough trouble trying to convice my wife that I need an AK-47 to go with the Glock 19 that I just bought from AB.... let alone something that's useful at 1000 yards :rofl:

12. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

it would be PRETTY FUCKING COOL. but like MG said, anything less than 1000 is pointless.

just get a .308 for that

13. You could build a 6.5-284 with the Shehane design reamer and toss 139gr Scenars or 142gr SMKs over 3000 fps. That'll give you trajectories and drift numbers similar to the .338LM with FAR cheaper bullets and way less powder burned to get there. You'll get shitty barrel life with either rifle, but you'll have significantly less recoil with the 6.5 and if you use one of Lilja's 3 groove 8 twist barrels it should easily outlast the .338LM. And personally I think an improved 6.5-284 would be way cooler than another bandwagon .338LM rifle. :)

14. Actually, a .243AI would also duplicate the drop and drift numbers of the 6.5-284 and .338LM. The .243AI does it with a little less powder than the 6.5-284 also.

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

And will fit in a short action. A 260AI will do similar, and a 7WSM will fuck them all up with ass to spare.

Besides, all the cool kids are running CheyTac derived cartridges for ELR stuff nowadays (though I've always wondered what would happen if you improved a 338L).

16. So what's the advantage of something like a 6.5-284 over a .243AI for long range shooting then? It seems like the 6.5-284 is the dominate cartridge for 1000 yard shoots now.

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Advantage? I dunno; personally, for what I do there really isn't one.

While they are the dominant cartridge, realize that the round is fairly old, and at the time of inception was fairly hot shit. A 284 case might as well have "improved" on the headstamp, as it pretty much follows that line of thinking. The 6.5 at the time (and still to this day to a certain degree) was where all the hot VLD stuff started showing up at. If you talk to some older BR guys you still might hear that diameter (but more specifically, the excellent assortment of projecticles themselves) being referred to as "ballistically perfect". All this leads to a shit ton of R&D (and of course, consumer usage) being done with the 6.5/284 which makes it hard to beat in logistics, not unlike Glock. Factory rifles are produced in the caliber, any 'smith who even has aspirations of dealing in the LR world likely has a reamer, 6.5 barrels are easy to get, factory ammo (and brass), and the aft mentioned plethora of bullet selection (both factory, and custom) all bode in it's favor.

To me, the cockblocks associated with COAL concerns in a (Remmy) SA magbox when running the "cool" bullets doesn't really interest me. The caliber certainly has the pedigree, and likely won't be going anywhere soon, but like everything else time rolls on.

18. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

a 98 bravo would be fucking tits

19. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

will this be in your book

20. cent

cent New Member

i'd rather have something chambered in .30-06 :hsughno:

21. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

A guy on snipers hide put it best when he said something along of the lines of "...and then I realized I don't own a .338 Lapua, I own a rifle that shoots $5 bills." :rofl:

22. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I pay my car off in a few months, this thread has shown me that if I'm going to build something it should probably be in .308. I'll just have to decide between a Mauser type action or a 700. I'll probably go with the 700 although it looks like I'll need to buy an older SPS rifle and build it up. Not too bad of a deal though, I can sell the factory barrel and stock.

23. If you're going to stick with .308, why not just keep the factory barrel? It's not as cool as a custom piece, but by the time you spend ~$300 on a new barrel and another $300 on getting it installed you could have just kept the stock barrel. I'd look into an SPS Tactical, get rid of the X Mark trigger, get a decent stock, and buy good glass. The ~$600 you save by not re-barreling can be put to use buying other things for the gun (stock, trigger, glass)

24. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Yeah, I just don't like how far a standard 168 grain projectile is from the lands in the factory barrel. It's originally why I bought my T3 over a 700. This would be a somewhat expensive project, but it would be something I'd keep forever. ER Shaw will re barrel a 700 for around $350 with whatever contour barrel you please. There are a few local smiths that can re barrel, but they all have ridiculous wait times (6 months or so) and they are more expensive than ER Shaw.

The tactical does have a heavier barrel than a regular SPS, but it still has a mile long throat. I think I'd still rather buy a basic SPS and replace everything. If it's old enough it would even have the good factory trigger in it.

25. Does the $400 include the price of the barrel?

The throat length is long, but even so Laurel shot this 5 shot group out of her SPS Tac @ 100 yards with GMM ammo. .540" CTC I'm sure handloads and some more practice could shrink this up a bit more. Anyways, how much smaller are you looking for out of a rifle that's not intended for benchrest shooting?

[​IMG]