COMIC How comic scanners hurt the industry

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by axio, Mar 30, 2006.

1. axio

axio New Member

Time to be a bit preachy :o

Scans are great but they don't really measure up to actually holding and reading a comic. One of the ways it hurts the industry is that it directly hurts title sales. Comic titles are generally sold to wholesalers who in turn sell subscriptions and bulk titles to comic book stores (it is the same for any literature). Basically if a series doesn't have enough subscriptions it gets canned because these wholesalers have HUGE leverage as far as which titles they buy and don't. Why should Marvel/DC put out a title that is otherwise great but is doing shitty on sales?

They won't.

So if you like a series subscribe to it. Both DC and Marvel have cut back on having 3902840239 titles of one character so it isn't hard to keep up with storylines. It is usually about $25-30 a year (12 issues) of a comic. But the more titles you get the more discounted they are.

Marvel: https://subscriptions.marvel.com/v2/index.html
    DC: https://www.cambeywest.com/dcc/dccuniv.asp

Keep in mind that your local comic book store can set you up for a subscription and sometimes they are willing to haggle on the price of it. But stores make money by reselling comics/subs, so they usually sell at around the suggested sale price. The more money your local comic store makes off titles the less crap like figurines and Pokemon cards they have to sell :o

Support the artists, writers, characters, and storylines you enjoy. Independent presses like Avatar and Image (to a degree, not so much anymore) give more money directly to the creators of titles so support them as well. :bigthumb:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  2. SSG

SSG OT Supporter

Scans can be helpful creating new fans. I definately buy more comics now that I've been introduced to so many different titles.

3. Whojive

Whojive Form a Fucking Wall OT Supporter

scans are getting me through my poorness, i hate reading the shit on my computer, Hardcopy > *

4. lazyjk

lazyjk Uncle Sam wants you for the NEW Freedom Fighters!!

:werd:

5. axio

axio New Member

Well, from what I've heard most scanner groups are comprised of comic store owners. From their standpoint they are getting more people interest in titles and getting more people to come buy from them. & you are right, it does drum up interest in titles that would otherwise be ignored by people. I probably wouldn't have given a rat fart about the entire Ultimate universe had I not started reading scans of Ultimate Spider-Man.

6. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

everytime i go to the comic store i spend prolly $100 or more each time :o

7. MeanieMe

MeanieMe New Member

I like the whole read before you buy.

I hate to look like the dead beat who skims through the comics while the owner notices how many creases you just put in the last comic...
    :hsugh:
    Now I can just walk in pull the comics I want.

too bad my local guy doesn't carry
    Y-the last man or Fables.
    This shop is for 13 & under kids I guess...

8. besmirtch

besmirtch New Member

I blame scans and this forum for making me pick up my credit card and purchase comics after about 10 years of being away.

I also feel there's nothing better than having the comic in your hands. To be able to actually move around and kick back helps a great deal. as opposed to, leaning into the warm light and scrolling every few seconds.

I thank scanning for making it easier to get my hands on older comics, I couldn't possibly afford, though.

9. Whojive

Whojive Form a Fucking Wall OT Supporter

i just bought some comics.

10. lazyjk

I dl a fair bit of media off of the interweb, but there is nothing like having a hardcopy whether it be a dvd, cd, or comic book.

11. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

totally agree

12. Ando

Ando CDN Member

i was shocked when I first came to this forum and saw how many threads there are with links to scans. i didnt realize it was so popular.

I only read printed comics, i wouldnt be able to stand starring at the art on a computer screen.

13. lazyjk

I :love: hardcovers, but I don't have the room to put them anywhere in my dorm room, so scans are getting me through right now

14. FidizzyTypeS

FidizzyTypeS Gimme Dem Scones!! OT Supporter

Well said.....thanks to the guys here...Axio Lazyjk and all the others i forgot to mention I've been in full collectors mode again....I both download and purchase the books.

15. aquafina is better

aquafina is better New Member

already sub to aston x-men, ult x-men, and batman(1946?)

i'm real stingy and i hate getting my comics messed up(spine stress, fingerprint) so its sorta like what i do with dvds. i buy what i really like(for the most part meaning majority of what i see/read)