how come

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Have you ever noticed that all the applications and programs for mac are like 1.5 megs instead of 10--20 megs like on a win machine. :bowdown:

Just something I've noticed in the past couple days.

2. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

maybe because there's no installer usually and there no registry to have to dump shit into

drap to applications folder > *.installmethods

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

because

4. Icedog

Icedog New Member

Don't want to spoil the fun.. but I just "acquired" the Macromedia suite.. and it's a little bigger than the Windows counterpart.. and one thing that really annoyed me; it droped well over 15,000 file in various spots, and what's worse is that only the fireworks program came w/ an uninstall. :rant2: Other than that, yes OS X rules Windows with their install and uninstall process. Just delete the binary and you're done :bigthumb:

5. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Office has the same problem. I don't get why both those companies do that shit. just put all your crap in the application bundle.

BTW, what you click on isn't a binary it's a bundle. you can see the contents if you ctrl+click and select "Show package contents". Sometimes you can even modify certain interface aspects and functions if you have developer tools installed. For example, I changed the decrese text size button to open a new tab and the increase text size to open a new window.

6. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

you don't always want to put everything that an app uses in the bundle because if you were to buy other products from their suite and those products need to make use of the same frameworks, you'd be wasting a tremendous amount of space as every program bundled the exact same code with it (imagine if every cocoa app bundled app kit and foundation in it...they'd be huge...). granted, when an app does something like that, an uninstaller is in order...

7. maczter

good point. ^^^

8. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I'm not sure if I'm putting apps in the correct place. I'm putting the app crt's in a folder called proggy in the documents folder and then putting the *.crt (or shortcut to the app) in the applications folder. Am I doing it right?

9. maczter

10. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

thanks for the heads up. I guess when I download a proggy I should just drag it to the app folder right?

For example. I downloaded kismat and in the app folder I have the Kismat icon, the kismat driver icon, but also when the program installed it left this floppy drive looking thing on the desktop. Where do I put this thing?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2004
  11. maczter

correct. unless there's an installer, you usually just drag it to your applications (or utilities) folder.

the floppy looking thing is a mounted disk image. once you've dragged a copy of the program to the appropriate spot on your folder, you can drag the mounted image to the trash (or just select it and hit command+delete or right-click and move ot trash).