How come nobody ever asks about Sprint here?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

this forum just seems like a penis measuring contest between Verizon and Cingular and to a lesser extent Gay-Mobile

2. imhipyournot

imhipyournot LPC id: 34280

bc sprint sucks.. and even if you could somehow argue the service, the phones they sell suck. They dont use gsm, and every top of the line phone ive heard of isnt compatable with cdma.

world phones are typically the nicer phones and cdma is not a world wide network. it basically exists in america and no where else.

3. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

cdma is used in S. Korea :fawk:

4. Chris

Chris New Member

and Japan...

though its slightly different there

5. imhipyournot

well excuse me! lol.

seriously tho are there any nice phones offered for people who use cdma other than what the retailors sell?

6. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

sprint sucks dude... they got horrible coverage... you always loose calls.

7. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

i hated that commercial

7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH

but Samsung had a 2 mp cameraphone @CES for either CDMA or TDMA, forgot which one

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sprint sucks... true story.

9. Reznik

Reznik New Member

I've never had problems with sprint. And how many people realistically go out of the country? I was also surprised that people hardly talk about Sprint. IMO the coverage is good, but the phones not so good.

10. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Sprint sucks here in Austin. Everyone at a friend's company had Sprint phones that were rendered useless one day when Sprint decided without warning to permanently shut down the tower nearest his office, leaving their phones with no signal whatsoever in or around their building. They all switched to AT&T. His only complaint with them was due to his crappy T68i (1st generation of GSM phones) that he still refuses to upgrade.

11. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

get off the gsm bandwagon... who gives a shit what they use in other countries? is that affecting my coverage anywhere in the US? Do you have any idea how expensive it is to use your US SIM overseas?

Sprint has actually had some of the nicest phones I've ever used, maybe that's because I'm a big Samsung fan. Sprint's service isn't that great, but they are getting better. I would actually prefer my old sprint phone above my old ATT/Cingular phone, at least that worked in my house. After the Sprint Nextel merger completes they will be a formidable opponent to vzw/cingular.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  12. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 New Member

:werd: and how often are you going to be going oversea to take advantage of your world phone.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

actually, GSM kicks ass. I can pop out my sim card and move it to another phone. When I broke 1 phone, this saved my life. and now I have a PDA that accepts the sim card, so that's another bonus.

14. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

:werd:

bluetooth + SIM card + Mac = win :bigthumb:

back that thang up.

if you have a Mac and a bluetooth phone, you can back up contacts, calendar and to-do items from most phones using iSync. you can also back up address book pictures from some phones as well...

http://www.apple.com/isync/

once you have everything backed up, it makes it even easier to change phones in a jiffy if all your phones have bluetooth. just move the SIM card to the new phone, set up the bluetooth syncing and sync it with your Mac and you get all that stuff instead of just name and phone numbers (which is all you get if you save your contacts to your SIM card to transfer them that way). with bluetooth and iSync set up, you just press a "Sync" button on your desktop without having to jack with any cables or anything and it works its magic. if you have a .Mac account, it syncs your contacts, calendar and to-do items with .Mac too. :bigthumb:

15. imhipyournot

actually i go out of the country every year, sometimes two, but that aside, my point was that "world phones" are typically the nicer phones. cdma phones arent world phones, hence the market for them is very small when compared to gsm phones so the nicer phones out there(p910, s710a, 7610, 6630 just to name a few) arent gonna be available for cdma networks.

make sense?

16. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

makes sense

17. Vagabond

Vagabond Nope. OT Supporter

I find it hard to believe all these people say sprint's coverage sucks; I admit I work for the company so maybe I'm baised but then I also have been walking around with a Sprint, Verizon & a Cingular phone for 3 days now and my Sprint phone has been the best one by far at keeping signal. Verizon only had a minor issue, and the Cingular one would drop signal all the time. I should swap it out to see if it's just a bad phone. If that keeps up with the new one, I may swap it out for a T-mobile phone.

Professional Courtesy Perks, gotta love them.

18. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

All depends on geographical location. For sprint users, its usually the people with no credit or real bad credit. I like GSM...gsm is good. :)

19. imhipyournot

what phones are you comparing the signals with? if the phone your using is shit when it comes to picking up a signal, then it doesnt matter how good the coverage area is.

i used to have t-mobile, and i got a decent signal with my 8290 i had with them, then i got one of those sidekicks, and my reception was even worse. I think decided to switch to cingular and get on a plan with my parents so it would be cheaper and used a cheap ass nokia 33something(the ones they gave away for free basically, everyone and there mom had one) and it had great reception, until my plan ran out.

point is, I think a lot of the people who say so and so's service sucks, generally had a bad phone or something. That 8290 i had was like 200 when i got it, and i think the sidekick was about the same, but the cheap nokia they gave away for free was better than both of them. not saying thats you, but just curious, bc i think that makes a big difference when comparing.

20. Vagabond

When you see as many phones as I do everyday, you get a good idea. These are the ones that I have on me at any given time. I donno, since sprint sees all these phones everyday, (we work on other carriers phones all the time, 99% of the time PB swaps.) Not in anyway saying it's bad, but GSM is just getting long in the tooth. CDMA is superior. Lug 3-4 phones around and you'll see for yourself.

Right now I am carrying a Sprint LG-325 (my personal phone), a Verizon Moto-V60p, and a Cingular OGO. (cool little gizmo, but no difference in the signal strength as Cingular phone) On the verizon I'm gonna get my hands on a 720 tomarrow, and sometime soon when I decide to keep/ditch the ogo I may try that Audiovox media phone on Cingular.

21. Vagabond

Not hardly. Sprint is just more willing to take risks, and it has paid off for them big time. Verizon did the very same thing 4-5 years ago and snatched up all the college kids at the time. ('IN' calling, that was a damn good idea)

Besides, Sprint has allways kept a strong business angle. About 1/2 the new lines of service that walk through my door are business accounts or business related. A good example is the Netxel meger.

22. Vagabond

But as CDMA is more established that will change - more CDMA networks are going up over the world than GSM - dispite GSM being cheeper to setup and operate.

23. Nyce

Nyce .

Because Sprint is utter shit?

24. Nyce

Nyce .

btw,

Sprint has a great selection of phones

they do not suck, i don't know what people are talking about. Features and looks wise, they have excellt phones and a TON of flip phones..

they are kind of pricey and their plans are weird though.. plus service is shitty

i cant wait to see what will happen after the merge

25. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

In your case, it makes perfect sense. Now I am looking at it as an average consumer, most do not go out of the country and use their phone and even if they do, it is much cheaper for them to get service in whatever country they are giong to. Most people are not going to purchase unlocked top of the line phones. I'm looking at strictly gsm vs cdma for an average consumer in the USA. Most people aren't going to buy a $400+ phone off of ebay to use.