How come i cant get adium to direct connect to anyone

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pineapple Devil, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i have to use iChat to be able to see anything they connect to send me

2. Furner

Furner New Member

adium is pretty buggy IMO, but it still is the best client out there. i cant get mine to format font and color for messages sent to other people. they all complain that it is plain black text.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You mean, they complain that they can actually easily read the text you send? lol. I can't stand it when people send pink text or something. Adium is nice, but I've found myself using iChat lately.

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i'll use iChat if it has aliases and a couple other things adium has

5. veonake

Aliases? Just get info on the contact, use the drop-down to go to address card. Make an address card entry for them with a real name and it will change their display name in iChat to the real name you've entered in your address book.

6. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

i flip flop back and forth between adium and iChat. iChat needs tabbed windows, and adium needs better file transfer compatibility. somethings gotta give soon :hs:

7. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

I find that DC on Adium if one person is behind a firewall works just fine. However, as most people are behind firewalls nowadays, that doesn't help all that much...

8. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i tried the whole swap back and forth thing last night and for some reason after swapping back to adium i cant see the im's of the person that was sending me the file. she can see me im but i cant see her im

9. veonake

Yes, I can't believe Apple didn't introduce a tabbed interface with the Tiger release. I don't think I'd feel much draw at all to Adium if they had a tabbed interface. The worst part about this whole thing, is that Apple has a team of programmers dedicated I'm sure to the iChat application, or at least the iLife software package, whereas Adium is a free program put together by regular people. You would think Apple could take a look at Adium, find the useful features, and integrate that into iChat. Oh well.

10. Snotfist

Snotfist I am the Urban Cowboy.

Kind of like they did with Konowhateveritiscalled and Dashboard? :ugh: :noes:

11. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

Konfabulator... and in many ways that's still a "better" app, namely because you can display Konfabulator widgets on the desktop... but you're right, the tabbed chat windows seemed like an obvious add, and I'm really wondering why they didn't implement it...

12. veonake

Ok, sure, what is your point? I can't tell if you're saying they shouldn't be allowed to re-invent the wheel simply because someone else invented it first, or if you are also perplexed as to why they didnt include these features.