How Come Car Audio Is WAY More Popular Than Home Audio?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Mar 3, 2005.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

:confused:

I never fully understood that. I mean, sure, you gotta have a nice system for your car... but when you get home or at work... then what? Cars aren't really the place will you will be testing music at refrence quality, or even try to achive a binaural recording sound... so what makes it so much more intresting? Don't you listen to music more at home, anyways? I must not be getting something here.

2. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Good question....wish I had an answer...:sad2:

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i watch movies at home, and listen to music in the car :shrugs:

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

It really depends on the age bracket as far as I can tell. For me, home audio (really computer audio) got me into the game in general. Several years ago I purchased a set of Altec Lansing computer speakers, and then the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 and I was hooked. This translated into my car stereo and finally I have been able to afford a very decent home audio setup as well as nice headphones.

Both are important to me, but car audio is starting to take more of a backseat to home.

I believe people in their teens to their 20's are much more into car audio than home audio. This is most likely a result of the desire to show off their systems to their peers and sometimes (and annoyingly) anyone within a 100 foot radius. I think it is a macho thing, and this would also give reason why many more men than women are involved. I believe the people that are bumping all the time, are not truly into audio as a hobby or interest. This would explain why when they get back home they are listening to their music on a crappy minisystem or a pair of cheap sony headphones. I am one of the exceptions to this as I am 20 and truly love audio, which is why when I come home I listen to a 2-channel setup that outshines my car.

Then there is the next age bracket, ~30 and up. These people are generally over trying to show off all the time, and if they are into audio it is probably because they truly enjoy the hobby. This explains why when you go onto audiophile forums you see a lot of 40 and even 50-year-olds online. The young member is now the one feeling awkward. Of course, this could also be attributed to the high cost of audiophile equipment and an older person's increased expendable income, but I think it is at least both factors.

In summary, I believe it is simply your perception that car audio is A LOT more popular than home audio because the age group you pay attention to is your own. That's my reasoning anyway. I think anyone who is truly serious about their music will always choose a nice home audio setup (this includes headphones) over car any day of the week. You simply cannot achieve the imaging and other benifits that a good listening room in your home will have inside your car.

5. coronet

So you're saying in most cases, car upgrades are not for the intention of audiophile function?

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

For the intent of audiophile function? Most cases? Absolutely not. Especially in the younger crowd (I feel weird saying that since I am young, but I maintain that position regardless).

You can of course be an audiophile and upgrade your car stereo to something very nice. But, I don't think many audiophiles would attempt to make their car worthy of the title audiophile, because extremely difficult to do. Some audiophiles would probably argue it to be impossible. You gotta remember, it is not uncommon to find an audiophile that would make the statement "You can have a decent system for under $5000", and be referring to a 2-channel home audio stereo (pre-amp, amp, 2 speakers, cables). And, in this statement they are also making the assumption you have great room acoustics. Which, even if you could find a head unit, amp, 2 speakers, and cables that add up to $5000 in the car audio world (it can be done, but there are not many), completely nullifies a car being capable of being called an audiophile system.

To hopefully preemptively answer one reply you will have to this, I do believe most people upgrading their car stereos are doing so with at least one of their intentions being improvement in sound quality. I'm just saying, quite possibly with a lot of younger buyers, the initial spark, the original motivation, is that of impression. Just my opinion, it's very possible statistics could be found to show that I am wrong.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  7. johnson

johnson New Member

I agree that it's the age bracket. Most kids will get a car and throw in a system in be it from Best Buy, Circuit City, or the like because they want to show off.

8. this

this Guest

In cars I don't think kids really upgrade their audio so much as they increase the power of their amp and get a subwoofer so they can make all the loose parts on their car rattle. Seems like the more one can make their car rattle or the more dirty looks one can get from older people passing by the higher the status.

I don't think this has anything at all to do with audio *quality*.

9. 04

04 Guest

I started out with car audio when I was a teenager. Nowadays, almost all my audio money goes into home audio equipment though.

You're right about the interior, it requires a lot of work to get good sound, and it is much easier to do this at home. I spend most of my time listening at home too, so it seems the natural choice to upgrade there.

10. coronet

Yeah I guess so. I got into audio before I had a liscene/could drive, so I'm more into portable audio (because I can't afford much of home audio... maybe use computer-as-source + a Glilmore Lite amp when I get a job).

11. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

I think the reason is because how many 18 - 25 year olds do you know that have their own house where they can do a nice home system? Most people in the age group live with their parents, in a dorm or an apt, definitely not great places for home audio. If you want to do a home system right then a house is almost a must have.

12. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Heres the way I look at it.

Cars get into accidents, cars get stolen, cars get broken into and your audio equipment is stolen.

Home audio doesnt really get stolen,or crack/overheat due to weather.

But I believe it is important to have a CD player in your car, and an mp3 CD player is the best solution.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

other way around... you turn the stereo up so you can't here the rattles :hsd:

14. blang

blang lang

I've always been more of an audiophile, but i like my music loud. Having a good system in the car is an easier solution.

But I know people who buy 2 12"s in a bandpass box and stick one amp on it, leaving the rest of the speakers attached to the deck:ugh:

15. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

:)

16. Nick6

Nick6 New Member

Peeps spend more time in there car than at home? :dunno: I have always liked home audio more my self.

17. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

for me at least my car is the only thing that is mine.... bc i still live at home.

18. Ronin

Ronin Guest

As far home and car audio go, my neighbors friend stole my neighbors home powered subwoofer, got a power converter, and threw it in his s-10.

Ghetto clash of both worlds.

19. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

In my case, I have a pretty nice home theater system for the house. But it's not an ideal music system. Why? Because I NEVER have time to just sit down and listen to music. Sure, I play music while I'm doing other things, but then I'm never going to be in a good listening position. It's just background noise.

In my car, I always sit in the same place. I spend a good 90 minutes a day in my car, so if it sounds good in there, that's 90 minutes more quality listening time than I get at home. Long trips make it even more worthwhile.

Fitting your audiophile experience into your lifestyle is a great thing.

(note: I have a terrible system in my car at the moment; am gathering all parts to do something pretty nice in the next week or so).