How can you tell if you need a valve job???

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by themorrison, Jun 9, 2007.

1. themorrison

themorrison New Member

I have a 98 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 V-6. I bought it with 55,000 miles on it and it now has 155,000 miles. A couple months after i bought it i was getting off the freeway and a bunch of white smoke cleared form the exhaust. I freaked out at first and a mechanic freind of mine said its probly the valve rings or piston rings that need to be replaced, but that can get pricey, $1500-$2500...So, he said just to put some Engine Renewer everytime i get a oil change and it should take of the problem. Thats like three years ago and since then i've done what he said, but every three months or so it will clear out a bunch of white smoke. It drives well, the same as my freinds 4Runner that is the same exact model and he has no problems. I saw an episode on some car show last Sunday that showed how to test your engine to see what needs to be done, but my idiot roommate erased it off the DVR.. Any ideas on what i should do as far as fixing it or just letting it go???

2. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

You most likely don't need a valve job.
    That entails removing the heads, disassembling them, and recutting the valve seats and valve heads.

Your valve SEALS are probably going bad.
    This is a pretty common problem on higher mileage Toyotas.
    The mechanicals don't usually tend to fail, it's the seals that wear out in most cases.

It's not really a huge problem if that's what it is, unless you are losing alot of oil between changes.

On your engine doing the seals isn't too bad.
    You have to remove the intake manifold, valve covers and such.
    The cams will also have to come out.
    However it can be done with the heads on the engine.

It is a job that is most likely more than you are prepared to do though, so if you really care about it I would take it to a shop.

While you're getting it done you might as well get the timing belt replaced, and the water pump if it hasn't been done yet.

The only thing that puzzles me is the color of the smoke.
    Normally oil is blue smoke.
    Normally white smoke is coolant, not oil.
    However, if oil gets on the INSIDE of the exhaust it will cause white smoke.

REALLY hard to tell over the internet.