GUN how can you tell if a preban ar is authentic

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fook Yoo, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

is there a special marking or so on the reciever? i never thought about it but untill now.there's a preban dpms in my local paper for $800 how do i know its legit or someone trying to pass a bogus postban as a preban ,i own a bushy but this would be nice to have.

2. Furner

Furner New Member

you can contact Bushmaster and they can confirm for you. www.ar15.com has a rough list somewhere that tells what blocks of serial numbers SHOULD be before the ban.

3. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

what are the differences between pre-post ban?

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

On a preban, it is legal to have an adjustable stock, flash hider, and bayonet lug. On a postban, you can't have any of those features, or the gun magically turns into an assault weapon which will eat your soul, rape your children, raise your insurance rates, inflate the national debt, and basically turn you into Hitler.

The compiled list of serial numbers is here, but do NOT take that as legal proof that the weapon is preban. You should get a letter from DPMS stating such if you want to be absolutely certain you're covered. As long as its serial # is plenty below the cut off though, its probably legit.

5. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

thats ridiculous

do you have any idea on the canadian laws for these guns? (or where i could find them)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2003
  6. kellyclan

Afraid i can't be much help. i've been told all sorts of varying difficulties in obtaining a firearm in Canada, but i don't have any firsthand information sources i'd trust.

You can check www.packing.org for their general run down of ownership in Canada, but this would probably be a more informative source. i'm sure the folks there would be happy to answer any emails with questions.

7. Furner

Furner New Member

My bad, contact DPMS. I guess I cant read anymore.

8. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

The only diff. between a pre and post ban weapon is the serial number, and the fact that postban weapons can't have any of the "evil" features that kellyclan mentioned.

9. kellyclan

Lowkey, sorry, i didn't initially notice you were north of the border. :big grin: To clarify, when we say preban and postban we're refering to a US law passed in 1994 that prohibits the above mentioned features on any firearms made after Sept 4, 1994. If the weapon was made before that date, you can still legally own it with the prohibited features. The ban sunsets in Sept 2004 and after that date, our law enforcement officials will be able to concentrate their efforts on real crime instead of someone who finds the stock too long on their AR15.

10. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

so im better off waiting for the "sunset" then?

11. Furner

Furner New Member

Well if you live in canada the ban dosnt effect you.

12. kellyclan

If it's in decent shape and they'll give you the serial # so you can check it, $800 wouldn't be a bad price for a complete preban rifle. A good Colt or Bushmaster lower alone can fetch that.

Most of the DPMS prebans were cast lowers though. A forged lower is generally prefered, for durability and weight, but for a range plinker, there's no reason to avoid a cast lower.

13. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

My dad has a preban Colt AR15. Bought it for $300 years and years ago. Nice gun :)

14. insanity911

insanity911 AHAHAHAHAH

you can get any ar15 in canada.. it's just a restricted weapon so you cant carry it anywhere and hunt with it

the AWB doesn't apply to canada, i'm trying to find a law enforcement model ar15 for myself

15. Trouser Trout

Trouser Trout OT Supporter

What prov. you in?