How can you tell if a Laptop has a wireless modem?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris87, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

Bare with me b/c i'm not exactly smart when it comes to this kind of stuff....

New roommate has a Toshiba Satallite 1400/2400 laptop w/ XP professional version on it. He claims he has a wireless modem built into it, but his laptop cannot detect my Linksys wireless network, nor any other wireless networks nearby (there's like 10).

He's got no little WiFi wireless button anywhere on the outside of his computer, nor any kind of button or switch that I can see to turn the wifi "on".

How can I find out for sure if his laptop has wireless ability? I tried searching the propertires in "my computer" and device manager and stuff, but I honestly have no idea wtf i'm looking for.

Any idea? :o

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a wireless modem (such as an EVDO card) is completely different than a 802.11 card. You can see if he has one in Device Manager. It would be listed under Network Adaptors.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

They don't come with built in wireless cards. They come with built-in wired ethernet and a regular modem.

Oh - and a floppy drive. Which means, there's no way that thing has a wireless card.

4. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

Thanks guys. Its the 802.11 ethernet which he claims he has. I'll have a look at his computer again.

IF he doesn't have it, what sort of device / card should he buy in order for him to be able to hook up to my wireless?

5. 5Gen_Prelude

A PCMCIA Wireless card - they're pretty cheap.

You don't have to look at it again - Toshiba's of that age didn't come with wireless. Tell him he's an idiot for me please.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you do NOT want PCMCIA. That would limit you to a 16-bit bus, and that's crap.

You want CARDBUS. That is the 32-bit implementation.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Yeah... uh, Cardbus is PCMCIA - just the newest version of it. Not sure if you could even find a 16 bit PCMCIA card anymore

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you still can find them. Linksys even sells a few. Cardbus is not PCMCIA. PCMCIA can refer to the standards-board that handles the specs for "PC Cards" or it refers to ver.1 which was originally called PCMCIA. Cardbus refers exclusively to 32-bit cards.

9. Create

Create :free at last:

...and keywords are everything when talking to the layman. Jolly, did you make sure his laptop supports it?

10. 5Gen_Prelude

Cardbus is PCMCIA 5.0+ and yes it refers to 32 bit. But since it was released like 10 years ago, I still find it hard to believe that you can find a 16 bit wireless PCMCIA card. And since retailers and manufacturers interchange the two terms, I think raising the stink of you DON'T want PCMCIA, is a bit extreme.

Besides, if you knew anything about this laptop, a 16 bit wireless card wouldn't be the choke point :mamoru:

Edit: I might be wrong about the age of the laptop - we have a couple of real clunkers at work that we haven't gotten around to disposing of that came with win98 originally - thought they were 1400's. The 1400's did have an optional mini-pci card - that's what he might be referring to. But regardless, it should show up in the device manager if the OS was pre-installed.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007