How can you have aftermarket A/V receiver on an '08 Honda Civic?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by pharmokan, Apr 20, 2008.

1. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

the fuckin console isnt your ordinary box shape, its like all big and shit, i dont want to buy an adapter frame. can i actually just get aftermarket speakers for the car cause the fuckin stock system is beyond shitty. what i mean to ask is, is it possible to use the stock receiver with aftermarket speakers, in terms of power delivery? i want to know if its possible to amplify mids / subs on the car using stock receiver with effecient compatibility. ty.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This would be better posted in Home and Car Audio.

But yes, you can use aftermarket speakers with a stock headunit. Just make sure the impedance is the same as the stock speakers.

Also, make sure there's an amplifier between the head and the speakers; if there isn't, that's the reason it doesn't sound good.

3. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

yeah sorry i didnt clarify or posted in wrong forum but i know u can have aftermarket speakers on stock head unit, i was just wondering if the aftermarket head units come with a special pre-amp feature that the stock receiver does not have, hence why it would sound like crap. or do all stock sound systems come with a pre-amp

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

As far as I know, all stereos come with a pre-amp, and all aftermarket amplifiers can be switched to accept a pre-amped signal or an unmodified signal.