How can I wire my Lo-beams to stay on with my Hi-beams?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by SkyAce2004, Aug 16, 2006.

1. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

I do a mass amount of night driving and it irratates me that the low beams kick off when i turn on the hi's. I did some poking around in my fuse boxes today and found a relay that kicks on when i turn on the low beams. I then found another relay that clicks on when i flip the hi-beams, however, the first relay still stays on.

So, its my assumption that I could 'jump' some wires in that 2nd realy thats clicking when i toggle my highs, and they should both work?

Im fairly good with electrical connections and how to work my way around them, but Im not too keen with relays and such.

2. shiba

shiba Active Member

why don't you just install foglights?

3. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

they are installed, those also turn off with the highbeams.

4. -Shaggs-

-Shaggs- Member

when I had my wrangler, I had the same issue. I just found the relay that kicks the fogs off when I flip the highs on, opened the relay and just put something in it like a match book or something to prevent the relay from closing. It worked like a charm. Now if I could only find one on my corolla.

5. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

you got a corolla to!!!! I think im just gunna do a relay setup. They will probally flicker when I switch to Highs, but its the only way I can think of.

6. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

You could run a diode between the wire to the high beam and the low beam, flowing from the high beam to the low beam

7. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

you think a diode will hold up to 50watts?

8. Isamu

Isamu New Member

rewire ftw!

Thats how we fix aircraft, rewire whole wings when it's not even a problem in the wing :woot: wtg management!

9. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

complete overkill and waste. Ive already figured out how im gunna do it. I just havnt done it yet.

There is a relay that is clicked on when i flip on the headlights, and that power output goes to another relay. The 2nd relay sends power to my lowbeams until I click on the Highs, then that relay clicks and sends power to my highs. Well, im gunna tap the output of the 1st relay and just have the lows be on all the time.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you'll melt something. That's too much current to draw through the wiring harness, and too much heat for the housing to take.

11. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

im not gunna melt anything, thus the RELAY. I know what im doing now. Its going to work. And HIDs are cooler running than the shit that came with my car. There is a seperate housing for the hi and low beam anywho

12. 1.8

1.8 Guest

It would make more sense to just hardwire the foglights, or replace them with 55 watt driving lights which are hardwired.

13. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

I disabled my DRLs because I got HIDs. Im gunna put the fogs on a relay that come on with the parking lamps. Low beams will still stay on when the highs come on

14. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

I did all the wiring yesterday and got to test my new lighting on my 3 hr night drive home. H1 foglamps + 6000k 9006 socket HIDs and Sylvania 9005 socket superwhite Highbeams. I could see EVERYTHING. It light up alot better than my HID retrofit projector did.