How can I view a PHP page from a webhost?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hayWIR3D, Feb 17, 2007.

1. hayWIR3D

hayWIR3D ** 40 days, 40 nights cumming to an OT near you **

In FF I can point the browser to the file and the php file will download and from there I can view it in Dreamweaver/notepad/txt editors. I am currently at the office and do not have FF. Any idea how it can be done on IE?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Does the server accept FTP connections?? That's one way.

3. hayWIR3D

Hmmm. If the host is setup to allow anonymous ftp connections, you mean?

I'm not understanding your idea. Care to explain a bit further?

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Anonymous just deals with whether or not you have to enter a user name and password....an FTP server can be set up to allow those or not. If not, you have to enter a user name and password.

If the server has a program running on it that accepts FTP connections, then you just have to d/l an FTP client, then connect to it....either anonymously or with an actual user account. Browsers can also make FTP connections but I like a dedicated FTP client.

5. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I'm confused by the question. Say you have page.php at website.com. What is the problem with opening ANY browser and just going to website.com/page.php. I don't understand why you can't do that in IE.

If you mean view the actual code, like the <? php ?> tags and junk, I don't know how you can do that without FTP, so I don't understand how you could do anything with 1 browser and not with another.

6. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Kind of a confusing question. Do you want to see the PHP Source or the rendered page?

If it's the source, try appending s to the extension, i.e. instead of test.php, browse to test.phps . If the web server is configured for that, it will display the colorized source code of the page rather than the script output.

You need to clarify what you want to do for us to help you properly

7. hayWIR3D

Let me see if I can break this down a bit more.

I have a website that has a form on it (form.php). Inside this form, the page contains text boxes where users inputs his/her information to be submitted over the net and to an email address. The form is using another php page to process it's request (method="post" action=connect.php) from the form.php page.

I would like to view the source of connect.php to see how the process is handled.

Sorry for the confusion. I hope this better explains what I am trying to do.

8. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

See if browsing to connect.phps works for you, this will allow you to see the source in the browser. If that doesn't work, you'll definitely need to get it off the server with FTP/SFTP.

How were you doing this in FF to get the source that way? You must have had some sort of Extension. If you try to get it from a browser through the web server, the web server will never send back the sourcecode unless it has been configured wrong (in which case that's a big security hole).

9. hayWIR3D

Nope. No dice.
    I used to be able to do this and I also used to have a ton of extensions installed on Firefox. I just recently formatted my machine and have done a fresh install of FF and now that I tried it, I can't view it now. :(

But I know for a fact, I used to be able to do it with no problems before. :) I wonder if it was a bug of some sort.

10. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

The PHP code is not visible in the "View Source" option in web browsers as it is hidden. You'll only see the HTML. In order to see it, you'd have to acquire the PHP file and open it in a text editor. Like the others said, FTP is one way.

11. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

This is what I thought, you cannot view a servers PHP scripts unless you find a 'hack' of some sort. The thread starter sounds like they are using a firefox extension to view the PHP, the PHP stays on ther server, only the scripts output is sent/formatted ny the browser.

This is not possible, right?

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You cannot view CGI code. Thats the point of CGI code. It is executable, and not readable. Unless they want you to.

13. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Not possible.