How can I Tke the Cap off my Cable Modem??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mirrorlure7M, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Mirrorlure7M

Mirrorlure7M OT Supporter

When you have a cable Modem with Comcast in Florida they only allow a certain speed to be download and Upload I had a Program that took there Cap off and the download was much faster and upload was faster does anyone have the program..

2. MP

MP New Member

chances are you isp caps it not your modem.

you could get a download accelerator but that's aboot it.

ps. uncapped isn't all that great...if you push a big packet through you'll end up getting crazy packet loss and freeze up your computer.

3. Hooli Meat

Hooli Meat i enjoy a nice set of boobs

if you do uncap your isp will prolly drop your service

4. zadams

zadams Guest

Programs that cap your speed aren't located on your machine, the file that holds those settings is stored on your modem. You can send a new config file to it over SNMP but most networks run regular scans to make sure that the modems are operating on the proper settings, if they are not the proper settings are sent to the modem again.

Resetting your cap several times is likely to result in cancellation of your service and possibly a call from your ISP's attourneys because it is illegal.

If you would like to tweak your own computer's settings legally take a look at: http://www.speedguide.net/ (use the files at your own risk though, some could slow your system down, or crash it :)

5. Dommi

Dommi Guest

you dont send a config file through snmp. it is sent through tftp.

that said, most isp's will allow traffic on the 10 net netowrk that the modem requires for trap info dhcp leases and config dl's only to required nodes. hence the idea that you cant do shit

6. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

Capping isn't about packet size. You can increase your packet sizes legally and easily. Capping is about bandwidth allowances. That being said it is indeed illegal, don't bother. I remember reading a news story of offenders having their homes broken into (with a warrant of course) and having all their equipment seized. It was to make an example of them of course, but...

7. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

:werd: Don't do it.

8. Dommi

Dommi Guest

no you cannot increase your packet size past what docsis allows for the modem. If you attempt to, the modem wiill artificially cap the pacet size and you wont be able to transmit past it.

read MTU

9. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

I didn't know DOCSIS accounted for packet size too although that makes sense now that I think about it. Thanks for the correction. Even so, I think the main reason why people want to uncap is for the bandwidth, not for larger packet sizes...

10. z y i r o

z y i r o Guest

i have a buddy that used to be a comcast network admin and there cap is ISP based so unless you have a way into your isp's servers to change the config files your not gonna get very far

and comcast does push the full law to anyone and everyone no eceptions ....

-garrett

11. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

uncapping is illegal, its stealing resources, and yes a network will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

So, if you get around to it, get used to not having a computer cause they will confiscate your shit. Or be sitting in jail. Depends on how good your lawyer is and how liberal they want to be.

12. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

@Home used to intsall modems that could be tricked into taking the DOCSIS config file from the ethernet side instead of the cable side. You could defeat this by setting up a tftp server on your internal network and faking it's IP address.

@Home no longer exsits and most of these modems have been replaced. The new ones only allow the config file to be sent from the cable side and they all have SNMP disabled on the ethernet side. In other words, DONT DO IT. You get what you pay for and if you get cought you will end up back on dial-up unless you can get DSL.

13. Dommi

Dommi Guest

the trick is to ping the cpe ip on the modem with an address that is supposed to be in the tftp subnet. If you do this while rebooting, the modem will set its routing table to point to that address as the proper route for the tftp. That is only on some modems though.

14. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Lesson of the day:

Don't do it.