how can I tell if an apple product is a refurb?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

My GF got a new iphone on tuesday and the screen was screwed up. So she took it to the apple store and they agreed it was broken, so they gave a replacement, but she said it did not come out of a retail box. Which leads me to think they gave her a refurb because her brand new phone was broken. How can I find out if they did do this? Is there a serial number lookup or a different character in the serial or something like that?

2. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter

they always replace it with a refurb

3. Chris

Chris New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

That's what I thought, but I falt out asked out the guy if it was a refurb, and he said no. He said if it was a refurb it would have a refurb sticker on it. But I saw it came from the same huge pile under the cabinet.

4. Chris

Chris New Member

Sorry for the horrible grammar

5. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

Those are sometimes new and sometimes refurbed. If it was an original iPhone it was definitely a refurb. If it was current gen, chances are its new.

The refurbed ones are marked though.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

Is it a distinct marking, or something that only the people that work there are suposed to know?

7. assclown

assclown Active Member

Same thing happened to me. They replaced my iPhone 3G with one out of a white box. I asked if it was a refurb and the guy said they have no way of knowing.

Kind of BS IMO. I bought a new product, I should get a new replacement. I know you can look at it the other way and say I'm giving them a used product but if it worked in the first place there would be no replacement to begin with.

8. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Apples refurbs are good, dont worry.

9. Chris

Chris New Member

If there is anything wrong with this phone I'm going to box everything up and demand a retail box.

10. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Unless you purchased the phone within the past month, they probably won't do it because you have to sign a contract, and since you already have one, there would be the difference of the incentive pricing vs. the full pricing. Right now, the phones are so new that it probably is a brand new phone. I don't think they have refurbs on the new iPhone 3G. But Apple does a great job with their refurbished stuff.

11. assclown

assclown Active Member

So far the one they gave me has been fine so I haven't thought twice about it. :hs:

12. Chris

Chris New Member

just tried that, doesnt tell me anything I didnt already know. I looked up the serial of the original phone from its box and it wont tell me anything other than it has been replaced, which is again, nothing I didnt already know

13. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

It's a sticker on the cushion envelope the device comes in inside the white box. If it was within a week the genius should have given you a new phone from a retail box, at least thats what our apple store does.

14. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

I bought a 80gig Ipod last year on Walmart and quickly realized it was used because it didn't come with the shrinkwrapped plastic and the screen had scratches all over the place.

15. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

You bought a brand new iPod last year from Walmart, and when you opened it up, it was used? That's not a refurb, that's a mistake

16. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

apple refurbs are as good as new... you shouldn't be able to tell the difference...
    there are no markings or anything that say it's refurbed anywhere...

only real way to know it's refurbed is if it comes out of a generic white box... or if you ask... other than that, it's identical...

17. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

Check the serial number and see if it already has been registered.