How can I simulate High-altitude training?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by metallikatz56, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

I live in NJ, relatively close to sea level. I'm taking a trip to the Peruvian Andes and Brazil in a few months, and would like to adapt to the high (15,000 foot +) altitudes beforehand. There will be lots of intense hiking with loaded packs, and I don't want to have to stop frequently. I've researched hypoxic training, but most of the equipment is far too expensive. Any cost-effective suggestions?

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

umm you dont need special training.

3. Grouch

Grouch Guest

:ugh:

4. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

wear a corset

5. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

Thanks for your input. Now STFU.

6. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Pick up smoking before you go?

I have no idea. Nothing i can think of without some sort of makeshift contraption over your head.

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

listen as long as your in shape it wont be a problem. might take getting used to but you should be fine.

8. dieslow

dieslow Guest

I can't think of anything that you add to specifically simulate less oxygen available to your body. But one thing you could do is try to increase your work capacity - which would help your body use oxygen more efficiently. Sled dragging, jogging with a punching bag on your shoulders, car pushing etc. Something that requires power but is still an endurance move.

Honestly, I'm reaching but it couldn't hurt.

9. Grouch

Grouch Guest

maybe a adding a weighted vest in your normal activity.

10. dieslow

dieslow Guest

Another viable option - but they are kinda pricey.

11. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

:rofl: :rofl: you realize he'll be at one of the highest altitude in the WORLD? do u know the pO2 is at that altitude? ever hear of mountain sickness?

in any case, i suggest going there a week early or so to acclimate, if thats not possible, reduce your hiking.

12. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

there are specialized tents that athletes and mountaineers use, the cheapest i could find was $340. sorry bro.

13. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Oh didn't know the altitude was that high. I know that it takes time to accumulate to the low oxygen level at k2 and Everest but didn't know he was going that high. Still if he's in good shape he might need some time to get used to it but I don't think it will be that much of a problem.

14. grue

grue New Member

Rent a plane, put a treadmill in it.

ftw.

15. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

treadmill wont run if plane goes opposite direction of the belt

16. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

Back when I used to race mountain bikes; I know pro's would go up to some places in Colorado to train at the high elevations before a race, for a couple weeks or so.

That probably isn't really possible for the average person I guess. :dunno:

17. Steve325

Steve325 Guest

that shit was confusing, I still wanna know the answer to it. I'm gonna email mythbusters on it

18. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

you can get high altitude simulating pods that you sleep in....supposedly very close to actually training in a high altitude area.

19. Moolex

Moolex New Member

EPO and blood doping are really the only ways to increase the hemoglobin content that quickly without altitude training

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I was gonna do the Manali->Leh run by bicycle, so I've done the research on this. Amoebic dysentary kicked my ass and I never did make the run.

Cost effective, there is nothing you can do except hike with a heavy pack in Jersey, up and down hills, and be in good shape when you get there. You can simulate this by busting your ass uphill on a treadmill, or whatever. When you do get there you are going to need time to adapt to the altitude, or you are going to struggle. Being in good shape when you get there will help, but there's no shortcut for adaptation to altitude. Get to a high altitude a few days early, and sit on your ass. Thats the only way.

Except for EPO. But you don't want to go there.

You will probably experience AMS. Bring the recommended drugs for it. Will you be sleeping at altitude?

21. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

Hold your breath.:dunno:

22. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

try breathing through a large straw whilst walking long distance.

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Holding your breath, etc. won't work because at altitude you can still expel CO2, you just don't get enough O2. Simulating that is harder. The only thing you can do is bust your ass that much harder at sea level and then at least partially adapt when you get there. I can't stress enough that if you are spending alot of time at high altitudes, then you need to plan on getting there a few days (a week) in advance and sit your ass at altitude and adapt. If this means changing your tickets and costs you money, so be it. Its worth it so that you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

One thing though: life-threatening AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) is not really associated with being out of shape. In fact, its sometimes thought to occur more frequently in athletes. So if you're going to get AMS, you're gonna get it. The only way to prevent this is to acclimatize slowly. But assuming your AMS symptoms aren't severe, being in kick ass sea-level shape will help you pull your ass up them hills.

There's a REALLY good paper on AMS around some place. I'll see if I can find it.

24. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Mucho Expensivo, Gringo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.