How can I set up my notebook to work with my PC as a dual monitor setup?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trickdaddie, Apr 2, 2006.

1. trickdaddie

trickdaddie Official Transmogrification Technician

I would like to setup dual monitors while i'm using my notebook at home... how hard/expensive is it to do? thanks.:wiggle:

2. 7960

7960 New Member

do you have xp?

plug a monitor in the back, go to monitor properties, choose the appropriate dual-monitor configuration.

done.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you want to connect two monitors to a single computer, that's easy as per 7960's instruction. If you want to connect two whole computers together, that's a hell of a lot harder and I don't know how to do it.

Just clarifying that point.

4. trickdaddie

Oh, ok.. so I could just get another flat panel and plug it into my notebook. For some reason I was thinking you had to use the two computers together. Cool, thanks!

5. 7960

7960 New Member

to hook up two monitors to one PC you need two video cards (or one card with dual outputs). *Most* laptops have a video output on the back. *Most* of the time to run dual monitors on a laptop ( by dual I mean the built-in display on the laptop + an external monitor) all you have to do is

a) have XP
    b) hook up a 2nd monitor to the output on the back
    c) right-click on the desktop and choose properties, then click the settings tab and choose how you want it to run. Depending on your laptop you *may* need to enable the 2nd video output on the back. Like with mine, if I plug in a 2nd monitor I have to hit Fn--> F5 to turn the port on. Yours may or may not require that, and if it does it may be different keys than Fn--> F5.

You can make the laptop display the primary or secondary display, or you can have both monitors show the same thing (but I don't think that's what you want)...that's really all you're choosing.

6. trickdaddie

Alright, cool. I didn't even think of doing that for some reason. I'll have to give it a try sometime next week when I have more time (ie.. it's not so nice outside and my streetbike isn't waiting for me to ride it :p )