How can I set up a wireless hub?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Alt+F4, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

So all my networking gear is in my basement: cable modem and WRT54G wireless router. We're putting a computer in our new office (third floor), and though we own the house, I can't find a way to run cable that far upstairs. So while I could just buy a PCI 802.11g wireless card, what I want to be able to do is connect my work laptop in the office as well, which does not have wireless (and since I'm just a lowly worker, I can't buy my own card, etc).

So what I wanted to do is kind of set up a wireless hub that would find the wireless network I already have, then have open ports for me to plug in my desktop and work laptop.

Can I do this? How? Would another WRT54G be able to do this?

Thanks for the help!

2. Alt+F4

3. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Or if you can get a cheap wrt54g, or something compatible with dd-wrt, the same can be done.

4. caddymac

caddymac New Member

Wireless card in desktop and Internet Connection Sharing.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

You have the right idea....
    but.....
    that bridge is only going to have one ethernet port. You need to match it up with a HUB or SWITCH.

Go here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=30&page=1
    Any one of those top 4 switches between $45 and $60 would function just fine for what you want.

What you would do is this,
    plug the bridge into the router downstairs and configure it to recognize the network.
    Then move it upstairs and plug the switch into the single port. The 8 ports on the switch would now be available to use.

Having said all this...
    your network connection is going to work, but it is going to be shit.

To improve it you really need to think about moving the wireless router as close to the center of the house as possible.

6. yea it would be best to put the wireless router in a more central place.. or get a cantenna lol..

7. Alt+F4

8. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

your office doesn't have a coaxial cable outlet?

9. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

your cheapest option would be to get a used linksys wrt54g version 1 to 4 and install tomato firmware in it and use it as a wireless bridge

heres a list of what tomato will run on other than the wrt54g http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#what_will_this_run_on

they are ~55 bucks brand new but the new ones may not work so you have to find the older version 1-4

if the wrt54g u have now is a version 1-4, just buy another wireless router for the basement and use the wrt54g for upstairs