How can I make the fans quieter on my NEW Case? *PICS*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by archangel, Jan 26, 2005.

1. archangel

archangel Active Member

2. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I have a regular case, but my fan grate is the same as yours. The fan grates with a bunch of little holes in them i have found to be the loudest. Its not your fan that is being loud, it is the air being sucked through the little holes. I purchased new quiet fans thinking that was the problem, only to have the same loud sound once i booted up. Only option are to cut out the cirlce around the fan and install a screw on grate that usualy comes with the fan.....or get a different case. Ive heard there are things called fan spacers, where it gives it a little but if space between the fan and the grate so its not so loud, never tried them myself though.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

4. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

it coul be that the fans you have are on the plactic window. i have the same problem, and cos the virations from the side fan make one hell of a noise!!!

i tryed oiling them, but still noise. to solution that i found were these really good silent fans!!!

5. archangel

archangel Active Member

Can you guys tell me what a "7volt mod tothe fan conector" is? A person reviewing the case said that it helped quite the fans.

I love this case, got it for my birthday and it looks and functions great. The blue ligts are very bright. I like them but ht ewife complains. The fans were alittle loud too but a quick 7volt mod tothe fan conectors fixed that,. The addition of a 120mm fan pulling air out is a huge plus. The front temp guage never reads more than 85 F in the center of the case. Highly recommend this case for any builder. The BMW grill impressed the friends too.

6. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

??? Sorry mate...i have no idea

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

are you using a fan-control mobo? If so, make sure they're connected to it.

If it's still loud, then your case sucks and they need to be that loud to cool properly.

8. archangel

archangel Active Member

No...i'm in the process of upgrading. Right now my old PIII 700 mhz and mobo is in the case. It doesnt have a fan control. What does a fan control do? Slow the speed of the fan?

9. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

yes...you can use it to control the RPM of the fan, so by reducing it there will be less vibrations.

10. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

building a fan bus is not a good idea. The point is to have the fans cool your case, and be as loud as neccessary to do that -- not to be as quiet as you like and have cooling as an after-thought.

12. archangel

archangel Active Member

13. archangel

archangel Active Member

yea I'm pretty new w/ computers. Working on building my first one. Seems like people suggest lowering the voltage or the RPMs of the fan. But wouldnt that also lower the cooling effect? maybe there are silent fans out there that look as cool as the ones on the case.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

exactly. Lowering the voltage reduces it's cooling ability. If the fans need to be loud to do their job, then let em be loud. A fan control motherboard is the best option.

15. WannaZO6

good point but...

computers generate more heat when under load (ie Half Life 2) generally you have sounds and gunshots and what not playing so loud fans is not an issue. most fan controllers, including the one i built, have a full power (12V) setting.

when im typing a paper i dont need eleventy billion cfm of cooling so i turn the fans down or off.

thats the advantage of a fan controller

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

but that is exactly my point... heat is still generated when typing a paper. If the fans need to be on, they should be on.

You turning them off is likely hurting your system and not helping it. If it's too loud, then figure out why your system is not staying cool.

17. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

if it's vibrating because the acrylic windows is banging against the metal of your case then you need to secure it beter. cheap cases don't bolt on there windows good.

if it's just a loud fan, see if somne WD-40 will help with any squeaking or anything. i used it on alot of my old fansand they run dead quiet now. if it's just a loud fan due to high RPM's or CFM...then you just need a slower fan. but like jolly said it will hurt your cooling, so it's up to you. i just deal with the noise, i can have my CPU fan on lowest settings and still stay in the 20's-30's. for gaming i turn it up though.

18. archangel

archangel Active Member

My fans are loud b/c of high RPM's. Not sure what CFM is? Seems like the fans are running at full blast. Their is no squeaking or vibrations from the case itself.
    Guess my best option is to get a fan controller.

19. WannaZO6

CFM is cubic feet per minute, ie the amount of air a fan is actually pushing

jollyorgre- as long as temperatures are within the safe operating limits for the computer turning fans off wont hurt a computer, hell my temps stay within the limits at full load without the fans, they just run cooler with all the fans on. also its not like there arent any fans running when i turn off my case fans, there is a CPU, PSU, video card, and mobo fan running full time.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Please *READ* what I say. If the fans need to be on, then they should be on. Do *NOT* turn fans off manually, or turn them down manually. Let the motherboard control them. A good fan-control motherboard will completely turn fans off or throttle fans as neccessary.

21. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

i completly agree with jollyogre...the fans are there for a reson...if noise is an issue then spend the extra few quid/bucks and get a nice silent fan...and yes they do have such a fan with pretty lights!!!!

I think that is the best solution to your problem.

22. archangel

archangel Active Member

I like the pretty lights!

Ibcomputerricer

23. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

you don't need a mobo that controls your fans, all you need is a program that will do it. (unless of course you already have a capable mobo lol)

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Download SpeedFan, it controls all your fans for you pretty much, even CPU Fan. It can automatically turn down your fans in variables depending on what your temps are at. Tell it you want them at half RPM when only at 35C and it does it automatically. You can also do it manually if you want. It records your RPM's in charts, voltages, its an all in one program for overclocking too and identifying HDD's and such. I've used it for years and it gets better with every revision.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

SpeedFan will *NOT* control fan speed unless your motherboard supports fan control. :ugh:

25. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

it won't work on my old P3 computer, obviously because back when it was made computer temperatures weren't even really thought of. If it is SocketA is *should* have at least one temp. sensor on it and be capable of controlling fans, my $40 ECS SocketA board had the capability, i don't think you can get cheaper than that. I can't think of a SocketA mobo that doesn't have the feature...maybe someone else can though.