How can i make my PC faster? And some other ?'s.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IceMurder, Nov 29, 2004.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

I built my computer about 2 years ago or so and it's been getting too slow for me lately, so i've decided to try and get some advice on what i can do to speed it up a bit. My specs are...

CPU - AMD Athlon 2400+ at 2ghz
    Memory - 768 MB Crucial PC2700
    Mobo - Epox EP-8RDA+
    GFX - Geforce4 Ti4200 8x 64mb
    HD - (2) Western Digital 40gb

I guess that's about it that matters with speed...

I've been wondering what to buy to speed it up, i've been thinking more memory...but I don't have that much exp. with computers so i figured i'd ask you guys.

I also have 2 more questions...

1. How can I tell if I need a more powerful power supply? The one that came with my case is 250W, but i don't know if that enough power for the things i have right now (5 case fans, neon tube, blue led case feet, 2 cd drives, soundcard, cpu fan...and im planning on getting some other things soon)

2. I think it's about time to get a new gfx card but I don't want to spend too much on one if it's possible...My card lags a little when i play games like NFS Underground2 and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 so i'm wanting a card that can run those, and other new games without a problem.

Thanks alot, sorry for all the questions. :hs:

-Chris

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

If the computer is running slow, then that's the problem with your games lagging.

To make your system run faster first do some 'spring cleaning'
    Uninstall any programs you don't use any more also manually go through each folder and delete any files you don't need any more like 'whatsnew.txt' and 'order.txt/pdf/whatever' and also extra language files for programs (if you don't read German, then why keep the language file, right) and yes I know these little files don't take up much space but you add them all up and it's an extra 50-100megs and while yes in days of 200GB hards drives 100megs ain't jack but the system still will scan over the area on the HDD where they live so be removing them it's one less thing for the HDD to scan through.
    If you're running XP or 2k take a trip over to blackviper.com to see what services are safe to disable.
    Run a virus and spyware scan, I suggest using Ad-Aware and Spybot and if it's your first time also go with CWShredder and also HijackThis (any questions as to the what HijackThis turns up, you can save the log to a text file and post it here to get help on what's safe to remove).
    Run a regestry cleaning program; maybe someone else can make a suggestion as to which one to download, I use WinDoctor from Norton Utilities which you can't download.
    Run Scan Disk
    And follow it all up with Disk Defrag.

If you want to see what kind of difference the before and after makes, run some various benchmarks and either save the results or write them down.

If after all of that your games are still laggy, and you've made sure there aren't any extra unneeded background programs running, then try lowering the game's graphic settings. My system sucks big time compared to yours, but it runs NFSU2 at 800x600x32, and the details in the middle, pretty well with a GF4 MX440 SE and my biggest bottle neck for right now (hopefully this Christmas I'll be able to fix it) is the PC133 RAM.

As for your PSU question, that many stuff, I would suggest getting a 350-400watt PSU. If the budget allows it, go for broke and get a 450-500watt PSU...it couldn't hurt.

3. joshk87

joshk87 New Member

What kind of budget do you have for the video card? And i would probably reccomend a GOOD 350 watt power supply. You dont need 500 watts. Just spend some money on a reliable psu. Antec for example is a good one, and if you have the money get a pc power & cooling. If you let us know your max budget right now it would help out a lot in picking whats best for you.

4. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour Active Member

I'll second the spring cleaning. It'll do your system a lot of good. A full reformat if you don't mind the trouble.

As for a new card, I'd say the Radeon 9800 Pro (or XT). Not as expensive as the high-end cards, but plays all the new games just fine. If you'd like to go a little cheaper, the 9600 All-In-Wonder XT is still good.

5. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

Thanks for all the replies! The most I want to spend on a gfx card would be somewhere under or around $200. That's the only thing i really have a budget with for my system, anything else i need i'll spend more on. Thanks again.

6. SejeChu.blobber

SejeChu.blobber Custom User Title

OK:

Reinstall Windows
    Get a quality graphics card (This means ATi 9800 Pro or better, fuck no, don't get nvidia)
    The amount of ram you've got is fine, you actually don't have to spend money on anything else than that. If you really want to upgrade something else than the graphics card, get an AMD Athlon XP 3200+.

That would fix you up.

7. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

How much of a change would I notice with a new CPU? Would it be worth it?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what games do you play?

(btw, nVidia pwns ATi right now...)

9. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

I play Rainbow Six 3, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, and NFS Underground 2 mostly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2004
  10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I vote for saving your money up and not upgrading this... just save up and get a amd64 939 when you can afford it.

11. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

NFSU3? Wow and i thought NFSU2 was the newest one.

12. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2004
  13. de_aztec24/7

de_aztec24/7 Guest

Format hard drive

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

They're both crappy.

get this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-104-934&DEPA=0

15. de_aztec24/7

de_aztec24/7 Guest

16. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

I don't really want to spend over 60$ on a new power supply...is there anything under 60 that would be alright?

17. Silfx

Silfx New Member