COMIC How can I makae my own comic book or low budget cartoon?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by macrochap, Jan 13, 2010.

1. macrochap

macrochap New Member

I've had an idea for a comic book for 20 years and I'd really like to give it a shot. I'd really rather create a cheap-o cartoon if possible and see if peopleonline like it.

any recommendations on how to create a small amateur cartoon or comic book? how much would it cost to do it?

2. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Start trying to do a web-comic, perhaps?
    There's quite a lot of them out there and it's hard to really stand out, but if you can do that, then i'm sure the step to physical copies wouldn't be so difficult.

Are you an artist or a writer?
    If the former, it's easier to start off i think. Start with putting some of your stuff on art/comic sites like DeviantArt and such, get comments, feedback and some reader base.

If a writer, try to find an artist to pair up with. Perhaps someone you know? If not, you can find websites where you can find artists looking for work. Perhaps a small one-time job, then see how you get along and perhaps some partnership.

If you do decide to do the web-comic one, start off with just the cost of setting up a website and maintaining it. Equipment and software will cost a bit, of course (if you decide to go fully legal :mamoru:)

3. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

i always pay for my software :hsugh:

4. UrbanNation

UrbanNation New Member

I worked for a magazine for some time and can't imagine publishing a comic would be much different.

Printing presses are getting cheaper and cheaper. I think the first step is finding a good printing press. If I remember correctly, it shouldn't cost more than $0.75 per issue for 7K copies or so. That price was for a fairly thick full color magazine. Might even be much less for a smaller comic.

From there I think you could use MS publisher as software and when it is ready just send it to the printing press.

It's been a while since I worked with the magazine so I hope this information is somewhat helpful.

5. macrochap

macrochap New Member

Thanks everyone. im a bad artist, but could do it just to get the first comic out.
    I liek the idea of a web comib, and I know how to make websites.

What software do you recommend? MS Publisher? or something else?

hey how hard is it to make a cartoon using Adobe Flash?