SRS How can I improve things? (Anonymous Thread)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by i killed tupac, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

I've been an alcoholic for 10+years. It hasn't affected my work at all, my home life did suffer a little but i got counseling and a prescription for an anti-depressant prescription. I want to learn how to kick the habit or at least tone it down because i am facing a major career change (in law enforcement), that i wish to excel in.

Please help me with this post, it's important to me that i get the feedback i need.

My drinking is (and has been) very heavy, half a bottle of tequila along with 5 or 6 beers a night (every night after work). This happens after work. We have a 4 year old and i want him to get the most out of life.

How can i improve things?

ikt note: this thread is posted on behalf of another OTer, who wishes to remain anonymous

2. i killed tupac

have you ever tried to stop drinking, or moderate your drinking? What happened when you did?

PS to anonymous-you can reply to this by PMing me and i will post it for you

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  3. i killed tupac

ANONYMOUS REPLY:

Never tried to stop drinking, i have tried moderating it but i just feel lousy and bummed out when i drink less.
    My gal notices it.

I'm at a burned out stage in my work life after 11 years of doing the same thing and i'm hoping that a career change will solve this. Pretty sure this is the issue.

4. i killed tupac

MY REPLY:

So, what does "pretty sure" mean :dunno:

what if it doesnt? do you think you may be addicted to alcohol?

5. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

We, as addicts, always think there will be something that comes along that will 'fix' us, and as soon as that thing arrives we will lose all desire to use, drink, etc etc. I wish it worked this way but it just doesn't. The brain always finds an excuse to use. Right now you drink because you feel 'burnt out' after 11 years. What happens when you get the new job, will you drink to celebrate?

Do you identify as an addict? Or are you in the 'I know I drink a lot, but I'm not sure I'm an alcoholic' stage?

Maybe try hitting up some AA meetings, just to feel them out.

The journey to sobriety is not easy at all, but will be very rewarding :hsd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.