how can i have 2 people work a microsoft office document at the same time?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Aug 4, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my buddy has 2 computers, hooked to a router, nothing special. then run windows and are on the same workgroup and can share folders etc.

he wants to work on an excel/word document while someone else also has it open/works on it...possible?

i tried it at home and it gave me a dialog box saying it's in use and i could only open it read only or notify, i'm not clear on what notify does

i really don't want to use vnc, that would get really annyoning

thanks ahead of time

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The only way to do what you're talking about is to have each word in the document contained in a database, and to use a special document editing program that can read the document in from the database, save the changes each person makes in real-time, and continually update each person's screen with the changes the other person made. Needless to say, MSWord doesn't support that.

Another option is for one person to open the Word document on their screen and then to send the other person a Remote Assistance invitation, so that they can both share the same desktop. The hitch is that the two people will also be sharing a single mouse and keyboard (via the internet, that is), so only one person will be able to edit the document at a time. That said, it's better than nothing.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

I've never heard of something that will let two people open the same doc at the same time and make edits that will both automatically be saved. Think about this...if he opens it and changes page 1, what's to keep you from coming in 2 seconds later and changing what he just changed? Or, if you have a copy and he has a copy and you delete paragraph one and he deletes paragraph two, will the final doc have a blank page, or will both paragraphs "reappear"?

I don't know what is, but Office is not the tool you're looking for.

4. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

Sharepoint has a live editing tool now, doesn't it?

5. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

GoToMeeting.com

Close enough.

6. deusexaethera

This effectively is the same thing as Remote Assistance, with the exception that you can change whose screen is being shared; I've never used that feature at work, so Remote Assistance has been all I've needed.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You want writely.com

http://www.writely.com/

Its great, does exactly what you want, and is free. Exports word documents and PDFs. They only take a limited number of new users, but it only took a few days last time I checked. This site was bought by google six months ago.

There are several shared spreadsheets in www.memestreams.net/users/jello search that blog.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

I would like to know more about this, but I wonder what this really means
    [SIZE=-0] How many people can edit a document at once? [/SIZE]

Each document can only be shared with up to 50 people, which means up to 50 people can edit a document at once. As long as people aren't editing the same part of the text in that document, there shouldn't be any conflicts.
    What does "same part of the text" mean and what does "shouldn't be any conflicts" mean?

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

thanks for all the answers, that writely service sounds pretty cool. i'd like to see it become released soon.

i just talked to him and he said it was cool if only one person worked on a document at on time, but they share it...so, thats easy enough, just share the file and use the built in readonly - readwrite notfication function in office. i'm glad he didn't want anything too complicated.
    thanks again

10. deusexaethera

That's some hot shit. I should have paid attention when you mentioned that before.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Just like source control using subversion... if I edit one line, and you edit another, no problem. If we both edit the very same text within a few seconds, problem. This stuff works best on a conference call.

12. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

google has something similar excel-style.. spreadsheets.google.com