How can I get rid of all the viruses and shit on a computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GiantRutgersFan, Jul 27, 2007.

1. from my parents computer? has loads of viruses on that.

I did Hijackthis and it didnt help.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If it's that bad, a format is best.

3. they wont go for that.

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

boot into safe mode, run several virus scans, spy ware scans, blah blah blah. manually remove rootkits. boot back to regular mode, if still unusable, format. that's about my general flow (with a back up in there)

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well, you might be SOL then...

Trust me, you'll probably spend hours trying to get rid of the stuff. What are you gonna do if you can't get rid of everything?

It's not hard to backup what data you need and then format. It will actually be quicker than trying to clean it up.

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

if it's damn too many and/or damage is too severe,... format will be easier

7. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I got out of doing computer repair for people because everyone waits until their computer is in such terrible shape that the only thing that will fix it all is a format and no one wants to go for it. Tell them you had all your fingers cut off and can't use a computer any more.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's too bad. It will never be clean, and those viruses have punched a bunch of holes in the Firewall that you'll never be able to seal up again. Back up their shit, make sure you can reinstall all of their programs, wait til they go to bed, then do the deed.

EDIT: If you absolutely MUST clean it off, download Sygate Personal Firewall and McAfee Stinger onto a USB drive on another computer, then install Sygate on the infected computer and disconnect it from the network. Reboot and tell Sygate to block all communication. Reboot again, this time in Safe Mode, shut off System Restore, and run Stinger on the infected computer's hard drive. Use all of the cleaning options and delete anything it finds that's infected. Reboot again, plug back into the network, and see if anything tries to ping through the firewall, except for the normal "File/Printer Sharing" and other Windows stuff. Then proceed with whatever other cleaning methods you can use.

9. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

werd. especially my uncle, he always waits til his shit doesnt run at all to call me and tell me something is wrong. Then, he always blames his kids. Same shit with my father-in-law.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The approach I take is to give myself the Administrator account on any computer I expect to have to do work on, and when I happen to be near the machine, I run a bunch of tools on it to keep it clean.

It bugs people the first couple of times I do it, but then they start liking the fact that they don't have to worry about their machine anymore.

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

If the computer has even one rootkit on it, you could be in for the ride of your life
    trying to clean up that hard drive.

You will need at least one rootkit scanner.
    At least AVG antivirus.
    Spybot S&D

First try system restore. It probably won't work, but try that first.

If the system restore doesn't work, then the first step is to turn it off before you run scans.

And run all the scans in safe mode.

Be prepared to have to run multiple scans.

Be prepared to have to manually delete a few bits of malware that the progs can't get rid of.

You can find several freeware rootkit scanners as well as AVG and Spybot S&D at
    MajorGeeks.