GUN How can I get a handgun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by effect1, Oct 27, 2003.

1. effect1

effect1 she owns me

Hey folks,

I've been thinking about getting a handgun for a while now, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for "starting the process". I have no clue as to go about actually getting a gun permit and buying a gun. I live in the state of Virginia, and was thinking about getting one of the guns that cops typically use - a Glock, I believe (but could be quite wrong). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Guest

You must be 21, and thats it. Just go buy one.

They'll make you wait a few days more than likely because they need to Run a check on you, plus it stops hot headed guys from running in, to buy a gun, and shooting someone with it the same day.

If you want to do something special with it, like carry it into walmart then you'll need to check your local county sherrifs department for the rules. For example, here in south dakota its cost $10 and takes 2 weeks to get your permit and thats it.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Glocks are pretty popular with police, yes. Some numbers claim more than 50% of departments in the US use them. i dunno about that, but they certainly are in widespread use. For good reason, if you want my opinion. ;) Simple operation, well made, reliable, affordable.

If you want a semi-auto, like a Glock, i'd suggest looking at a 9mm model like the Glock 26, Glock 19, or Glock 17. The 9mm round is cheaply available everywhere, so you'll be able to afford plenty of ammo for practice, and it doesn't kick as hard as the .40 or .45, so you won't have to deal with heavier recoil while you're just learning.

A quick look at www.packing.org suggests that a permit is not required to purchase, but getting a permit should not be too much trouble in VA as long as you have a clean record. And it's not usually a bad idea to have one, even if not required. http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/virginia

And here is the VSP's FAQ on the same: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/cjis_ftc.htm

Simplest way to go about it though is walk into a gun store and ask someone who works there what you need to do to purchase a pistol. Any good shop will be helpful and happy to assist you in making sure you comply with the law, if they can't be bothered, you don't want to give them your business anyway. :)

4. effect1

effect1 she owns me

Thanks for the info, guys. You've really pointed me in the right direction. Sometime this or next weekend, I'll go into a shop and ask them what I need to do to get a pistol, and I'll also look into getting my concealed weapons permit. Thanks again! :wiggle:

5. Old Dirty Ahjushi

Old Dirty Ahjushi (´-`).。oO(so, hungry) OT Supporter

3days for background check in FFX county...