How can I get a copy of Windows Media Center

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Jan 26, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

So, I bought an HP PC that came pre-loaded with Windows Media Center edition. What it did not come with though is a copy of the OS to reload fresh. I can only do a system restore with all of their crap on it. Does anyone know how/where I can get the Windows Media Center edition media? I'd hate to have to pay for a whole new license, especially knowing that you can't just buy it without buying other hardware.

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have had this discussion here before and people have pointed out to me in the past that your license key might be tied to a specific version of Media Center (an HP branded version).
    So before you go running with what I am about to tell you please put that in the back of your head.

Okay. Here is the deal.
    All Windows OS discs are devoid of copy protection. Microsoft does this on purpose. The only copy protection is the key and activation.
    You are free to make a copy of the windows CD/DVD and install from the copy.
    You are not breaking any laws or agreements with Microsoft when doing so.

What this means for you is that all you have to do is find a copy of WXP Media Center addition out on the net and download it.

Now, if my warning effects you you are not SOL.
    You need to get on the phone with HP support and request a copy of the WXP Media Center install discs. They will charge you a nominal amount to do this.

Go ahead and do this.

When you get it you want to use the software at this site: http://www.nliteos.com/ to strip out all of the bloat that HP has put on those discs.

The reality is that if you are willing to spend a bit of money (shouldn't be more then $30) you should be able to get a copy from HP. There is no reason you should have to purchase a new copy of WXP Media Center.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, i spoke to HP and the only thing they offer is the ability to make recovery disks off off of the D partition on the hard drive. it sucks though because the only way to recover is with all of the shitty demo software they put on there.

i'll take a look at that software at nliteos.com.

my plan is to buy a new hard drive, pull out my existing one and try a brand new install on that one. if everything works, great. if it doesn't, at least i'm not completely out of luck.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

either use the hp recovery partition or it's not legal :lockd:

or buy mce2k5/vista

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

so, why is it illegal to use a different disc to install? i wasn't actually looking for a place to download it. i remember from a while ago though when i was doing desktop support that certain vendors were able to sell just the media. it didn't come with any license so it was only like $30, but you had to have your own license.

also, is there a way to get the license key off of my existing media center install?

oh, and fuck vista. no way i'm installing that piece of shit OS. as far as i'm concerned, vista = WinME which i skipped also.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the mce2k2/2k3 license was no-media. You can only legally do what the license allows. You must use your restore partition.

all 2k2/2k3 media is pirated and therefore illegal.

People were upset at this approach so MS changed the license for mce2k5. However, that doesn't change the license that you are governed with through HP.

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

damn, i never heard that before.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I've got an app that will show you the key on XP. I don't know if it will work on
    media center though.
    I'll pm you a link if you're interested.

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

wait a second. if Microsoft only licensed mce2002 (which is what i have) without media, where are the copies of the media coming from?

also, when i bought my HP, i could have also purchased a Dell which would allow me to purchase the actual OS media for only around $30. it wasn't a restore cd, but an actual OS cd.

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

sure, i'm interested. it aggravates me that you have to jump through friggin hoops just to get information that you've rightly paid for.

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Pm sent.

12. phatguy88

phatguy88 OT Supporter

trouphaz pm sent

13. orlum

orlum New Member

You could try telling them that your hard drive failed and you bought a replacement. They may tell you that you need to take your box to an authorized service center, but maybe not...

Also, if you lay down the charm on phone support, you might get somewhere. I've called back phone support multiple times for various companies and products, and after getting shot down a few times, I've often spoken with someone willing to bend the rules on such matters.

Might not get you anywhere, but it's worth a shot... :dunno:

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

I've gotten confirmation that I am running WinMCE2005. So, I have a valid license and also got my key. As far as I'm concerned, I am now free to acquire my media however I choose since I already own the license.

EDIT: thank you all for your help with this.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008