how can i figure out the ip address of a networked printer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Apr 10, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

it's a plotter that is connected via a parallel to ethernet adapter

the router/switch it is connected to is a cheap dsl+router combo. i totally doubt the owner knows it's access info, so i can't get into it to see what the plotter's IP is. i don't want to reset the router because that will clear out the username and password for the dsl, which i doubt the owner knows, because he never set it up

should i just unplug the ethernet of the plotter from the router and plug in my macbook to get an ip? it might be the same ip that the plotter gets, although the plotter might be assigned a static address based on it's mac. i guess i could try to get an ethernet card that i could change it's mac and put that in a pc there and connect that up, then see what ip it gets

am i over complicating this?

cliffs: have a printer/plotter that is connected via ethernet. can't get into router to see it's ip address, need to figure out this plotter's ip

2. dorkultra

i just thought of something. i could take my home router, hook it into the other router. i would plug in one of the ports to one of the ports on the router, so that my router works like a passive switch (i wouldn't be plugging anything into the internet port). then plug the plotter into my router

then i could go into my router's config and see what is connected, it should show the printer name, ip and mac

that might work

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

is the plotter currently set up on any computers to print? You should be able to print a configuration page that has all the info on it, mac, subnet, dns, ip, etc.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yep, depending on the adapter there should be a way to print a config page. I would also imagine that someone would have installed software to set it up. In that case you should be able to get the IP info from there.

I use a program at work called Network View. It maps out our network by IP address and it pretty good at determining if the device is a PC, printer, etc.

5. dorkultra

i'm not 100% sure on that, they were having trouble plotting to it
    they were saying that they could plot to it if they used a pdf, but couldn't do it in autocad...something about the name being invalid

6. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I would get some sort of network mapping utility like mentioned, we have a hardware based one here that's REALLY good. If it can print PDFs it sounds like it's setup as a Windows printer somewhere, you can check the port sttings on a machine that can print to ti. If it's printing to a name you should be able to ping the name and get the IP. If it's setup to print to the IP then you are done. I don't work with Autocad enough to say what the issue is there, I do know we use it in the Assessor's office here, we use name based printing, hard set IPs on the printers and the printers register their names with the WINS server. Works fairly smooth that way.

7. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

You could use Angry IP Scanner to scan all IP addresses in your subnet to see if any respond. Or better yet, log in to the router's administration page, and view active clients. Most routers should have this.

8. gnp

gnp New Member

nmap

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Print to it.
    arp -a

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

nmap is a good tool.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Angry IP Scanner is another good one.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I used to love Languard, but I hate the newer versions.