WEB How can I do this?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by steel sparky, Jul 8, 2009.

1. steel sparky

steel sparky New Member

Hello, I've recently started a website and wanted to use it as a blog of files available for download to my friends. Now, I don't want to use their FTP space to host my file, as it would be a conflict of interest. I'm also running a FreeNAS server, how can I share my files on my HDD with my domain's FTP? Just seeing if this is possible. Thanks.

2. vgeek

vgeek New Member

On your domain's ftp? Could you do a link to them? Do you have control of the server your domain is hosted on? If you do, setup RaidenFTPD and you can create virtual directories to handle what you want.

If not, just setup a subdomain that points to your home ip and ftp, then link there.

3. Irvin Washington

Irvin Washington New Member

Unless a private server is involved, I'd use a host service like RS or MV.

4. steel sparky

steel sparky New Member

Ok, I like this idea. I would use RS but really it's not worth the money as the bandwidth really wouldn't be worth it. Ok I'm a little new at this so please bear with me.

I've redirected a subdomain to my home ip, and it brings me to my FreeNAS web gui. How do I go about connecting to my home ftp server from here, or even an outside network?

Thanks in advance.

5. Deviance

Deviance Can't you smell that smell? OT Supporter

What IP did you point that subdomain to? Is it a 192. or 10. address? To reach it from the outside world, it needs to be routed to your externally visible ip space.

THEN, if you re using a home router that your NAS sits behind , you should port forward anything coming in on the ftp port to the nas machine.

Assuming ftp is enable d on the server, ftping to the ip should take you there.

If you don't have a router and YOUR nas is on the internet without being behind a router, nothing else should be necessary. You should disable the NAS control page from being reached externally though.

6. steel sparky

steel sparky New Member

I've got it routed to 24.10x.xxx.xxx.

Yeah, I've got DynDNS set up and I can access it from my LAN using SSH,FTP, and quixplorer. But from an outside IP I cannot SSH or FTP, which is what I am really trying to accomplish. Then I'll redirect my sub domain to my DNS server.

7. vgeek

vgeek New Member

Go to your router's config page and forward port 21 to the internal 192.168.x.x address of the box holding the files. You need to make sure you have an ftp server running on the box as well, otherwise nothing will happen.

8. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

this.

then in the link you go to 24.10x.x.x it will need to look like this: 24.10x.x.x:21

the default port is :80, which your NAS is using.

Also, a lot of ISPs will block port 21, 80, 8080 from being accessed publicly. If you notice the FTP working RIGHT when you turn it on/enable it, then it stops shortly after, try switching the FTP client to be port 99 or 999, or something else higher up.