How can I add sled dragging and barbell complexes to the standard template?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TXLBS, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

I'm looking to add in extra workouts to shave some body fat. I'm tired of being skinny fat (not really, but not diced either). I did an AM and PM session of sled dragging yesterday, and I absolutely noticed it in tonights squat session.

For the purpose of shaving bf and conditioning, should I decrease the load?

My template looks like:

Su - ME B
    T - ME SQ/DL
    Th - DE B
    F - DE SQ/DL

I realize that a decrease in strength is generally accepted when doing this, but I'm looking to minimize that; as it is I am the weakest pound for pound lifter in my group.

nudes/gogz: I'm not trying to get flamed, I'm trying to improve.
    rest of PL crew: Any feedback or experience you could relate would be greatly appreciated.

2. Drewski

Drewski New Member

the most recent Westside for Skinny Bastards (#3 I think) has a strength & conditioning routine

Day 1 - ME Upper
    Day 2 - Speed Training

Day 4 - ME Lower
    Day 5 - RE Upper & Conditioning
    Day 6 - Conditioning

3. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

I liked the new WS4SB article, however where I train works based on the standard ws template. I have to make the conditioning form to that.

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

A decrease in strength is not generally accepted, pulling the sled and BB complexes increase GPP and aid in recovery and can actually make you stronger. WSB guys do not train only 4x a week... sled drags and GPP are part of the grind. Do them on your off days and you could do some sled drags as a warm up or cool down after DES.

The goal isn't maximum weight on the sled on your off days. This is where knowledge of your own body comes into play... you are the only person who can tell if you are doing too much. Start light and work on pulling the sled fast to get your heart rate up and start breathing fast.

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

GPP work can be done many different ways. One of the most common ways is to use a weighted sled (Simmons, Tate). There are many different ways to drag a sled, and several articles have been written on the different variations on the sled, so only the basics will be discussed here.

The sled towing can be done in two different intervals, in measurements of time and distance. When dragging the sled for time, usually you will tow for two minutes in one style, rest 30 seconds, tow for two minutes in a different style, and repeat until your time is achieved (Tate). For example, tow by dragging the sled forwards for two minutes, then turn around and drag the sled while walking backwards for two minutes, then laterally for two minutes. Often times people start out dragging for about 14-15 minutes and work up to 20-30 minutes. The time doesn’t increase after you achieve the desired fitness level of dragging a weight for that amount of time, instead of increasing the amount of time, you increase the amount of weight.

Dragging for distance is done for 200 feet (Simmons), stop, rest (if the exercise will be changed, do so now) then repeat the distance. At the rest point, changing the style of dragging is optional. An athlete can change exercises each rep, as explained earlier, in the same manner as explained in time or do all reps in the same style.

If the dragging is done in place of a max effort exercise on the max effort lower day, the distance is cut down to 100 feet and more weight is used. Every trip, you will add more weight onto the sled until the sled cannot be dragged for the full 100 feet.

6. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

8. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

9. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

10. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

uh... that might be NWS

11. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Thanks for the help Maine.

It sounds like I probably need to decrease the load before days when I want to get work done on my squat.

12. NUDES

NUDES New Member

This is what "TXLBS" should be doing (WS4SB) instead of a standard template IMO.. but it appears as though his training group is one of those that is "train like us or leave".

That's one thing I've never understood about a lot of PL groups.

13. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

14. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

just drag the sled on your workout days and don't eat like shit. You don't need to do something everyday. And if you are going to drag on off days for some reason, just use a plate or maybe a plate and a quarter

15. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

That's kinda the way it is when you only have one power rack like I think they do. I usually do somewhat different stuff than everyone else, but that's easy when you have a 2 monolifts, a power rack, and then a place to pull.

16. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Yeah but there are groups out there that are "xxx training method only clubs" that are big and have several racks etc.

I've always wondered what they'd say if someone like Jeremy Hoonstra who's in the top 3 benchers in the world walked in and said he wanted to do a bodypart split like he does. Would they say fuck you?

That's why sometimes it's all cultish to me. But I understand if you got limited shit to work with.

17. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

You're right, we have one power rack. Ron, the owner is looking at renting some warehouse space so that we can expand and work on getting more equipment and lifters, but for the time being it is ran out of his garage and we just make due.

It's not completely "train like us or leave", but we train those 4 days, with the movements picked out being for those days. Variation amongst lifters is simply in rep schemes and intensities.

18. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Thats what I think I am going to do, just leave a little in the tank on upper body days for barbell complexes, and then drag the sled afterwards on squat days.

19. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

two things I wish I had:

an area to drag a sled and a big fucking tire. I suppose I could find a road somewhere in the city in a park or something where I could do it...

20. NUDES

NUDES New Member

The average person can just do cardio on a machine or go running. No need to get fancy.

Tires and sleds are great.. but unless you're competing or something I don't really see the point.. I'd say "for fun" but I know from first hand experience that hard tire flips are anything but fun.

21. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

ono the same cday

22. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

i like doing hard stuff and I've tried riding stationary bikes or jogging and I just can't dig it.

I do notice at times my cardio endurance is total shit so I gotta start doing something. I guess I'll try to ride my bike or a stationary one at least because that's the least boring option I have.

23. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Pushing your car around the block can be very demanding. I used to do that when I wanted to work my strength endurance but didn't own any equipment.

24. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Kind of in the same position Skel.. My cardio endurance has gone to crap since I stopped doing the elliptical daily.

I'd like to do sled dragging too but have no where to go. My backyard isn't big enough. :(

25. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Local park, school yards afterhours...

I just drove a couple blocks down the road to the local ditch, and counted off 150 feet between two big trees and went to town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.