SRS How can art initiate change?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AryanK, Apr 4, 2010.

1. AryanK

AryanK New Member

Many artists use their artwork to show their identity, and how they feel about the world around them. How can they show changes in their art?

I think an important element for change is fire. It burns everything and changes them into something else. What do you think?

2. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

I would think that anything that inspires an ideal in a person could bring about change. :dunno: I speculate that strong leaders throughout history have known this, and used it to attempt to guide the hearts and minds of their subjects. An example would be Hitler's embrace of art which idealizes his various Aryan stereotypes.

In other words, art as propaganda is designed specifically for the purpose of initiating some kind of change (or specifically to prevent it, such as context dictates).

3. AryanK

AryanK New Member

lol, why does everyone think of Hitler when he reads my name? :big grin:

So you think all artists create their art to initiate changes? I agree with you there, but what do you mean by change?

4. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Not specifically. More like, all art represents an ideal, and a viewer may be inspired by it. If a person is inspired by a piece of artwork, and they act on the inspiration, then it can be said that the art initiated change (in the sense that it had the effect of a catalyst).

So change can be anything. Political propaganda is an easy example because the ideals are, by design, easily-identified. Hitler's Volk Art is the example I used (not because of your name, but because he had such a noteworthy propaganda machine working) - he let it be known that he enjoyed certain styles, and that those works portrayed the ideals that a good German should embrace. There's actually a great website, though some of the links don't work, right here:

http://fcit.usf.edu/HOLOCAUST/ARTS/ARTREICH.HTM

In that case, "change" was directed toward Hitler's ideal society, which meant a healthy, Aryan, vaguely agrarian, classless, generally wholesome Germany. The art followed those ideals, it was placed in prominence, it was state-endorsed... so its appreciation was sternly suggested, which made the ideals themselves sternly suggested as well.

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I think 95% of everyone who considers themselves an "artist" would be starving in a ditch if it wasn't for their day jobs...

6. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

hence the phrase "starving artist," Dr. Insight.

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

:bowrofl:

Which is exactly what I was intentionally referencing, Watson.

8. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

more to the point, your post wasn't insightful.

9. CodeX

CodeX Guest

More-so than either of yours :mamoru:

10. Astringent

Astringent Hai!

Art and its intrinsic value to society is quite independent of any commercial value it may have. Its ability to generate revenue does not, alone, say anything about its worth.

11. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

I would probably kill myself if I lived in a world without art.

To contribute art has definitely shaped me through visual art like paintings the OP is referencing (I think), but also architecture, public space design, plays, music of course, etc... Literature has influenced society to a huge extent.

12. AryanK

AryanK New Member

I think none of us could live without art. :)

13. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Art's purpose (if one were to give art one, because literally it has none) is to inspire. Inspiration is soul driving force behind change.

Music is art, music has probably caused more social change since it became easily distributed and reproduced than anything else in man kind's history.

14. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Art is a tool, used by the governing class to keep the rest of the population distracted and blissfully unaware of their own subjugation and servitude.

15. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

:bowrofl:

Edit:

16. Neenersoad

Neenersoad New Member

art doesn't initiate change. it may make someone think about a topic, or event, but it won't make them do anything about it. violence however, will.