MIL How big of a mistake is enlisting in the Coast Guard at 24?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by oftenly, Jan 26, 2010.

1. oftenly

oftenly New Member

Context: I came a hair's breadth away from enlisting in the Air Force in 2006, when I was 21. I did MEPS, got a 98 on the ASVAB, qualified to be a linguist and got a slot at the DLI. Unfortunately enlistees don't usually get those jobs, so I had to wait 9 months to ship. In the meantime I couldn't help but find a half-decent job that paid more, and decided not to enlist.

I haven't spoken to a recruiter yet, but I'd like to pursue an IT job in the Coast Guard, for plenty of reasons. I'm a smart guy, just terminally unenthusiastic. My fear is that 24 is too old to dedicate 4+ years of my life to the military, probably not getting a degree until I'm closer to 30.

Is this too much fail? Should I suck it up and get a degree the normal way, because enlisted life will be especially uncomfortable for someone as old as me? Does age even matter that much?

2. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

its what you make of it.
    military will either be full of win or full of fail.

3. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Take a step back and look at the Coast Guard (or any other branch of the military) as a regular job that requires physical abilities. That might help take some of the fear out of your decision. There have been plenty of 24yr olds (if not older) that have enlisted before you.

4. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra New Member

I enlisted at 25.

5. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

You just don't sound like you're mentally prepared to take advantage of the opportunity an enlistment can provide - both for you and your branch.

You need to take a step back and accept that 24 is not very old, stop stressing out about wasting your life, and commit now to a course of action that will move you slowly closer to your long-term goals.

All that being said, your post does not state any real reason for enlisting.

The only thing you mention is getting a college degree. If that's the big goal, then no, you should probably not enlist - military service is not intended to function as a college.

You need to know where you plan to be in 4 years before we can help decide if the Coast Guard will get you any closer to those goals.

6. dice

dice New Member

It seems like a large commitment, but these days you can earn lots of stuff out of the experience. If you got nothing better to do, why not do it? you have nothing to lose, in most cases.

7. birdman7389

birdman7389 New Member

You are not that old.....

Besides, you could end up doing insanely cool rescues or something else out of bootcamp and decide you want some action, son......
    Just give it a shot, you wont regret it.....
    Enlisted life is not as bad as you might think.

8. cbs_24

cbs_24 OT Supporter

I'm 24 and leaving for basic in ten days. i know i will be on the older side, but i'm not THAT worried about it.

9. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

one of my buddy was around 30 something when we were both E-3. we called him "old body"

10. tan koi

tan koi Guest

The older guys are better workers overall, provided they don't have the "I'm older than you" mentality.

You'll do well.

11. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

I'm thinking about enlisting and I'm 25

12. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

I did 4 years and got out at 23. All I can say is that this is will now be your life. Don't think you'll get off at 5pm everyday like in regular life and go drink a beer on your futon. Older guys usually do alot better then 18 year olds however because they know what a commitment really is. Engross yourself in it man. You'll be looked at different because of your age and alot of the 18 y/o peers you have will look up to you. Just whatever you do... DO NOT be the old guy who constantly bitches about his knees or whatever. You're 24 not 58 and have no excuses for not being good at Physical Fitness.

13. L Shaped Ambush

L Shaped Ambush New Member

Old Man Oftenly

14. kstack34

kstack34 Its the sound of freedom

We are getting more and more 24/25 yr olds in our squadron in the last year due to the lack of jobs on the outside. Honistly, i dont think any of them have had any problems, However, be prepared to have ppl younger then you outrank you by quite a bit. I was an E-5 just prior to turning 23, and supervised a troop that was 2 years older then me ;)

15. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra New Member

I thought this was going to be an issue when I enlisted... but in the USCG... everyone in your unit is pretty tight knit and everyone knows the mission. Rank really doesn't matter as much to us since we are all doing the same thing. Chiefs schedule and delegate the work to the petty officers and the petty officers give the bitch work to the non-rates.

16. Dutchies

Dutchies OT's resident abortion professor

Just don't join the Navy....unless you like getting fucked constantly. Not by sailors either, by your CoC.

17. USMC7684

USMC7684 OT Supporter

Had a 29 year old guy in bootcamp with us with gray hair. We called him blue.

18. armond

armond New Member

Joined the Air Force when I was 26, turned 27 in Basic. Don't think too hard about it, just do it.

I was called the old man in basic by my fellow trainees, and the TI pretty much left me alone. So it can have its benefits. Although , if he/she finds out you are older, they will probably look to put you on Element Leader or Dorm Chief. I know because I ended up on both. But embrace it, it can be fun, basic is just time filled with mindless and numbing tasks.

19. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am 26, graduated college 2 years ago with a Bachelors degree, and haven't been able to find a job in a law enforcement related field for the life of me, things are only getting worse as time goes on (Especially in California). Rather than sit here for years to come and keep applying to departments that are on the verge of collapse, I've been contemplating the Coast Guard.

I would like the challenge, advanced training, and experience of doing something like joining the Coast Guard, and since the economy isn't going anywhere anytime soon, I'm thinking maybe in 4 years when I get out things could be different. I am in great physical shape, but have never been good in the water. I can swim but definitely not to any coast guard standards. I also get sea sick when out in the open ocean.

Just wanted experienced opinions and maybe some idea of what oppurtunities - education and experience wise I could gain from joining. Thanks!

20. Off

Off Memento Mori

had a 45 year old on my basic :o

21. rex03

rex03 Member

Coast Guard isnt that bad, really. Just consider that you arnt going to get deployed to Iraq...sure you are still going to see action, but there is just something about being a bit closer to the USA. This is comming from a former USAF NCO, and Army Officer.

22. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

most people who join right now aren't going to go to Iraq anyways, brah

23. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I think that was his point.

24. gaara46

gaara46 OT Supporter

what service?

im 25 (26 in july), and im going to army basic in september. when i was at meps there were a lot of guys older than me there too, some with family also.

25. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

I thought the CG pretty much put a hold on recruiting for a while