How big is the cache for the 250gb G5 drives?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I have a dual 2.3ghz G5 w/a single 250gb HD. I'm looking to add another and couldn't find what the cache was for the drive.

2. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

3. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Cool. Thanks.

4. Skoles

Skoles Guest

5. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Cache on the hard drives isn't the only measure of performance but 16mb never hurt anyone.

If you really want to work out performance numbers go look up reviews or go to that site that compares drives whose address I have long since forgotten.

6. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I would think there would be a noticable difference in a 150mb/sec transfer and 300mb/sec.

Either way, they were sold out.

7. emorphien

emorphien New Member

hard drives don't really transfer that fast, unless you're talking megabits. And then even for some 300mb/s is pushing it :rofl:

8. Furner

Furner New Member

tomshardware?

9. emorphien

emorphien New Member

no... but like I said I forgot the name of the place. Toms might have a comparo though.

10. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Well I finally grabbed one today and just finished installing it. Wow was that retardedly easy.

Installed the drive which slid right in after I figured out to use the supplied screws to allow it to sit on the mounting rails. Used Disk Utility from the startup disk to format it, then the restore feature to copy the old HD to the new one (just drag & drop ftw).

I'm now zeroing out the original internal drive to use for my work and my external will now be a backup drive/bootable OS (160gb ATA from my old PC).

The bigger cache does make a slightly noticable difference it overall usage. The drive is quieter when accessing, programs load noticable snappier.

Hardest part was digging out my Apple mouse because for some reason my Logitec won't recognize clicks when using it from the boot disc.

11. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Drives slow down as they load up with data and files. Only way to know that for sure is to compare a bunch of drives at the same stage in their life.