How bad of a jump would it be...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by MobileSuit, Sep 14, 2003.

1. MobileSuit

MobileSuit New Member

For me to jump from a EX250 Ninja to an RC51 next summer. Also consider I got my lisence in August of this year.

2. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

Once you have gotten the hang of riding and feel for the controls, the switch over to the rc51 shouldn't be a big problem.

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

How many miles have you done on the 250 and primarily what kind of riding? If you've mainly just used it for cruising/commuting, I wouldn't reccommend the RC, I'd say get something more intermediate, like the SV650 or an F4i.
    If you've put 20k miles of hard twisties riding on the 250 in the past year, you'd probably be able to handle the RC.

I just went from an SV650 (2 years, 18k miles, mainly twisties) to a 99 Superhawk, and even the 65hp/45torque to 100hp/75torque jump is quite a bit. Going from a 30hp 250 to a 125hp RC51 is a HUGE jump.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  4. Hobie1

Hobie1 No longer self-employed & now hating life

I would get something a little more crashable. RC51 parts aren't exactly common. Parts for an F4i are plentiful.

5. MobileSuit

MobileSuit New Member

What are the years for the F4i did they start making them in 2000? How different are the F3's and F4's?

6. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

From a 250 to an F4i for me was a freaking huge jump. The first time I rode my F4i was like woah! Power was more than I could handle, and most 600cc SS bikes don't make power til 10k or so. I needed to readjust my riding style because of the sitting position and weight, compare to my 250. I think the RC51 will give you a lot more problems, since V twins has more low end torque, it's heavier, more racier ergonomic, and different steering geometry. The F4 and F4i are basically the same bike, with the F4i being fuel injection and slightly different front and tail fairing.

7. rider

rider New Member

When I got my first and only sportbike, the Yammie R6, it took a lot of getting used to, the seating position, the power delivery, the weight, even the height of the seat (I'm a little shortie). But once I got used to it, slowly and little by little, I do okay on it. I don't know what a big jump going from a 250 to a RC51 would be, but it is going to take a LOT of getting used to.