GUN How bad is firestorm?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by htex1004, Jul 8, 2005.

1. htex1004

htex1004 New Member

Been looking around to pick up a .38 super for no real reason but an excuse to reload really.

Anyways.. I came across some firestorm brand guns lately at some local shops. They're supposedly LLama/Bersa joint venture of sorts... They make some 1911's some PPK knocks offs among some other things.

The .45's and .38's are cheap and a little rought but comparable to the base GI.45 at least to the the amauture.

I'm curious any real concerns on these.

I'm curios of just getting one cheap and doing a little reliability mods.. (feed ramp, ejection port, frame slide fit) and maybe trigger and sights.

By no means wanting a competition gun or carry gun out of it but something to play around with .38 super cheaply

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Doing the mods yourself? If you're shopping it out to a smith, why not just dump the cash into getting something better known to start with.

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I would never buy a firearm in a strange caliber just to have the excuse to reload, reloading isn't nearly as fun or cost effective as everyone seems to think it is. (unless you shoot thousands of rounds a year)

4. htex1004

htex1004 New Member

.38 super isn't strange it's a 9mm bullet .355" in a longer case (more powder) Been around a while. Was developed a little for penetration of personal armor at one time.
    Still used in silihoute shooting.

If you own 9mm you could load your own then too. No it's not cost effective... never said it was. Some people enjoy the satisfaction and increased consitancy. Basically I like the idea of buying 9mm bullets (cheap and common) and loading them into a longer casing.

w/o getting into the +P's or +P+

9mm 147gr 950 fps -1050fps +p
    .38super 147gr 1200fps

You can't really compare loading you're own to bulk ammo... you have to compare it to buying premium ammo. If you're doing you're own loading you typically end up buying better stuff. (Moly coated match grade boat tails/ better powder.. closer brass tolerances (wall thickness/trimming and polish/primer hole)

Yeah it's one of the rounds that died off for a reason... like the 10mm

Anyways my question was about the knowledge of the brand.

As far as mods... have a guy (former co worker) that'll do stuff for a free lunch.

Not looking to build something as a race gune or comp gun really just make the cheap pawshop special feed reliably... possibly.

I think I'm going to hold out for something a bit more reputable I've since learned the internals aren't really worth crap.

5. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I meant strange as not a widely used caliber, guess I should have worded it differently. Since I've never seen anyone use .38 Super outside of competition I thought brass would be expensive but after looking it up on midway 500 remington cases is actually $15 cheaper than 500 .45ACP; whoops :o I know exactly what you're talking when you say you need to compare reloading ammo to premium prices, after I started loading for my 7mmRM the cost went from $30 for 20 rounds of premium ammo to $10 :bigthumb:

6. chakup

chakup Guest

firestorm makes a decent .22, I have heard lots of bad things thoug about the llama .45's. do a search at 1911forum.