MIL how bad is a dishonerable discharge

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 1fastz28, Oct 24, 2005.

1. 1fastz28

1fastz28 OT Supporter

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

no one cares. seriously. that is unless you are smart and capable enough of getting jobs that don't give a shit about your military career, ie. mcdonalds or something that's not intensely public or upper management. when you are dishonorably discharged you are obligated to inform your potential employer of your military history and disclose the discharge. you are also automaticcally denied all government jobs, post office, law enforcement, or IRS.

3. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

Its better than Vaginal Discharge.

4. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

:werd:

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Not so. Vaginal discharge can be cured. Dishonorable discharge will never, ever go away.

6. camo~

camo~ I LURK

:rofl:

7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

It was explained to me that if you got a dishonorable discharge that any company that has a contract with the military (ie. McDonalds) is not allowed to hire you as part of their contract. :dunno:

8. RRTX

RRTX New Member

In most cases a Dishonorable discharge is only given along with a serious conviction that carries the same weight as a federal felony. So basically if you get one you are fucked anyhow. Anything less than an honorable you might as well not put down your military service on a resume or job application for any kind of serious job.

9. Accord

Accord New Member

What if you got a medical discharge and not necessarily an honorable discharge?

10. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I'm pretty sure all medical are honorable, on the DD214 it should be listed as Category: Honorable and then would list medical reasons in the reason box.

11. Ranger-AO

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justicelawlegislation/l/aadischarge1.htm
    http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/m/mi/military_discharge.htm
    http://www.afsc.org/youthmil/Military-Recruitment/good-bad-discharge.htm

The classifications of discharge are (from best to worst):
    Honorable
    General (under honorable conditions)
    Other Than Honorable
    Bad Conduct
    Dishonorable

A Dishonorable discharge makes about the same impact on your life that a felony conviction does. A dishonorable discharge might make you ineligible for VA benefits (the VA will consider each case on it's own merits). It will make you ineligible for education benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill, including the $ you already paid into the plan. It will prevent you from being able to file for unemployment benefits when you seperate, since it means that you were in effect "fired" from your military job. You will permanently lose the right to own a weapon, under the Gun Control Act of 1968. You will also lose the right to vote.

Also, many employers preferentially hire veterans - but only after verifying that they served honorably. Most of these employers would not hire someone that was discharged with anything less than an Honorable Discharge.

12. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Two words ... UR FUCKED
    if you get a dishonorable

13. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

depends.

my friend at the unit has decided to stop showing up for drill last month. he's had enough of the bullshit and quits. he runs his own real estate and brokerage business and does quite well with three employees and the marine corps isn't offering him anything better to leave his cash flow once a month and two weeks a year. he's going to get njp-ed eventually and a dishonorably discharged from the service for formalities but we all know that means little since he's secured a living already.

but he's 35 with a family, a 19 year old kid on the other hand.

14. Ranger-AO

Dishonorable discharge requires a Court Martial. If he's getting NJP, he isn't getting a Court Martial and he isn't getting a Dishonorable Discharge.

15. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

i heard that medical discharge is bad as dishonorable.. if you have medical discharge from the service, your health is probably fucked(employer's point of view) since it takes A LOT to get medical discharge from the service.. One of the dude i used to know while in service that received medical discharge.. he now works at the gas station nightshift. He told me that it's pretty difficult to find jobs since people think you have a disability(they don't actually say that since it's against the law but you get the picture)

16. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

It all depends on the job you are trying to get. Most employers will not verify discharge status. The military uses the type of discharge as a propaganda tactic to keep the newbies in line. My experience with this is that many people have gotten out with General (UHC), bad Conduct, Other than Honarable do not list the discharge type but still list relevent military experiences. These dischrages only stop you from work with government and companies on government contracts.And normally wen this happens they do not wish to work for a government agency or a private firm that is contracted to DoD or a goverment agency.

Also a medical discharge does not stop you from ANY job unless the job has certain physical requirements. I know quite a few people with different types of discharge that maintain very well to do jobs. They have listed military service because of job specs. The bottom line is that most employers do not care, but if you have anything like a dishonorable or bad condust or other than honorable you should reconsider listing any military service on your resume.

17. smokie700

you can but only about 1 out of 10 are approved for discharge upgrade. Also you have to have pretty damn good reasons and proof why it should be upgraded.

18. KungFool7

KungFool7 keep driving—it's getting earlier

I am getting a General under honorable for pot.

What do you need to do to upgrade after 6 months?

19. smokie700

You will not get approved for upgrade unless you have absolute prof that you are innocent. You might get benefits back if you go through an rehab program. Your discharge will not hurt your civilians chances of good jobs. Only flag will be the amount of time that you were in. Don't even sweat it. You can join the guard and get out honorably. then your other discharge kinda becomes void. You are only required to list most recent typr of discharge.

20. KungFool7

I'm guessing i would have to foot the bill for the rehab program?

And i can seriously join the guard after being discharged? I'm not interested in it at all right now though.

Only way i would ever join the guard is if there was some waiver i could get for my color vision to become an aerial gunner in any of the branches.

21. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I can almost guarantee he will have a reenlisment code barring him from further service on his record. If an employer is seriously looking at your military service they will want to see the copy 4 of your DD214 which lists your discharge type and reason.

22. smokie700

You have a better chance to join the guard with proper waivers given. What you should do is talk to JAG about the process for upgrading a discharge but I will bet 100% that you will not be able to upgrade the type discharge and you may only be able to try and get some benefits restored. You should be getting a general under honorable conditions. You should be able to get VA loan for a home but you will forfeit GI bill benefits and a couple others. There is a chart that JAG can give you to show what you will quilify for. Not to burst your bubble but the chances of the military giving you a drug waiver and a color vision waiver are slim. Most all branches will not allow anyone on a air crew if you have drug history. Unless it was on intial enlistment and even that is tricky.

23. KungFool7

Do you know how this discharge would affect getting a security clearance for a non-military or dod company?

and yes, it's general under honorable.

24. smokie700

depends which copy of the DD214. Only certain companies have the resources to identify the code. Which is why most governemnt jobs and private companies with goverment contracts have access to codes. And you can enlist in other branches if a waiver is given. This i know for a fact.

25. RRTX

RRTX New Member

That's not always true. A couple guys in my last unit got booted for overweight, they both had full honorable and weight control is listed as the reason. I think discharges like that depend a lot on the unit, I've heard of people getting general under honorable conditions for it also so it may be commanders discretion.