how are toyota tacomas?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by iridewheelies, Nov 5, 2005.

1. iridewheelies

iridewheelies down to ride?

i'm looking at the used ones. 96 and up...
    are they reliable?
    good on gas?
    maintence?
    etc...

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

They're great trucks. Are you considering a 2WD or 4WD? If you are considering going with a 4WD I would get one with a V6. I'm not a fan of the 2.7L I4. The 2.4L moves the 2WD Taco around decently though.

My mom has owned one, a 96, for about 4 years now. The only thing that it has needed besides routine maintenance and tires was the exhaust manifold cracked about 2 years ago. All the accessories (power windows, locks, etc) still work perfectly.

It gets ~25 mpg on the highway, maybe higher if you drive slower. Everytime we checked the milage it was on a road trip when I was consistenly doing ~80mph.

3. Dan-ZR

Dan-ZR The Ace Of Spades

i drive a 2k sr5 ext cab 4x4....underpowered.2.7l ..but i get about 21 highway and mabe a little less city......

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

:drivererror:

5. iridewheelies

iridewheelies down to ride?

i don't know if i should get the 2wd or 4wd. doesn't really matter to me. i do know that i want the xtracab.

how's the tranny on the tacomas? should i get 5speed or auto?

are there any tacoma forums?

6. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

I have a 1998 Tacoma TRD 4wd with the 3.4L V6 and auto tranny (A340F) with 170k km's on it (110k mi) with nary a nick. These are great trucks if you use them and/or appreciate them for what they are.

I disagree with the 2.7L naysayers in this thread. I had both trucks - a 1996 with the 2.7L w/the manual for work and then the 1998 3.4L w/the auto for my personal use. Unless both trucks were loaded with more than 1000lbs or so, you really didn't notice much of a difference in power. Sure the 3.4L gets up to speed a little quicker, but the difference is minimal as long as you're not running with a full load. I really like my 3.4L, but if I were to buy another Tacoma, I would go for the 2.7L for the greater mileage and the extended lifetime of those engines. With that said, I will mention that the 2.7L is a different animal with the auto, I found it very boggy and not to my liking; the manual tranny is the way to go with the 2.7L, but the auto is sufficient in my truck with the 3.4L engine. I feel that the 3.4L has enough power to manage nicely with the A/T.

FYI, the 2.7L I had at work had 325,000km's on it when I left the company, and we had just changed out the first clutch. My truck right now has 170k km's on it and I have done routine maintenance such as replacing the timing belt, water pump, alt belt, ps pump belt and it has served me very well.

I would buy another in a heartbeat. For forums, may I recommend:

1) www.tacomaterritory.com (great for the off-raod type)
    2) www.customotacos.com (more 2wd geared, but great tech content)

Have fun :bigthumb:

7. Error

Error ¿ti†le øut-of_order

www.CustomTacos.com is the largest Tacoma forum out there. 4x4 and 2WD are both family there. We have meets all around the country, all year long. Pretty much anything you wanna know is there.

I autocross my lowered 1996 2.4L Tacoma, and it's taken 131,000 miles of punishment without complaint. Damn thing keeps on ticking.

8. Valafar

Valafar Active Member

My 98 2WD SR5 with a 2.4 and 5 speed has a quarter million miles and still running like it was new. Original everything but timing chain and exhaust. I did the chain at 200,000 for shits and giggles and had to have it ordered from the factory as no dealer had one in stock.