How are MB Quart Speakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by anjego, Jan 29, 2003.

1. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

Generally speaking. I'm considering getting some 5.25" Components, model QM130, for my car, and have heard generally good things about them.

Anybody have experience with MB Quart, or these speakers?

2. 04

04 Guest

Quarts typically are very bright, and many people dislike this. There highest end series, is supposedly more tame, but then again, speakers are a subjective decision, so I would go and listen, and base your opinion on how they sound.

3. anjego

thanks for the input guys! any other suggestions for 5.25" components (in a "reasonable" price range)..?

4. 04

04 Guest

You have to define what you mean by reasonable. :)

5. anjego

say $200-250?

6. 04

04 Guest

What about something like this? http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/directed_component_speakers.html

I have heard good things about directed speakers. And their neodymium magnets (they are really small) are :cool: and require a shallow mounting space.

Focals another option, also Crystal is good.

7. anjego

:cool: those look like a great buy. now, the problem of finding a local dealer and listening to them! :mad:

8. 04

04 Guest

Yeah, Directed is a smaller company so finding a place to audition them will be kinda tough perhaps.

Another thing with car audio speakers is that they will sound different on the board in the store than they will sound in the car, sometimes totally different. It is best to audition firsthand, but honestly when dealing with car audio speakers, if you ask me, if you buy a nice pair, the way you install them will affect the sound more than anything else. Like for example, if you were to infact use the MBquarts, installing the tweeter off axis in kickpanels may make it sound great.

Getting a good sounding car system is a pain in the ass if you ask me, but it can be done with a little time and effort. (and good equipment too :) )

9. anjego

actually i found a couple dealers near me. i'd feel like a dick, though, auditioning them, then buying them online at that KILLER price, and then taking them back to their shop to do the install (since removing door panels is not my idea of a fun afternoon) :)

it's tempting to just buy them, knowing that they've gotten good reviews, and have them installed. hmm. i'm not enough of an audiophile to be able to distinguish, anyways. we'll see, i've gotta think about it.