MIL How are gays actually treated in the US Military?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Peyomp, May 15, 2005.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

So, I am wondering how gays are treated in the US Military. I don't mean official policy, I mean in practice. Any of you have gay men/women in your unit, and is it difficult for them?

2. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

I don't have any that I know of. There have been several that were suspected of being gay, and were givin a hard time with jokes and what not, but were never actually attacked or threatened.

3. insomnia

insomnia New Member

None in my career field (that I know of) but I've met quite a few out here. As long as they do their job & don't bring relationships into the work environment I have no problem with them.

I was friends with a girl who was gay and got kicked out though... someone reported her and she did not deny it. She was a cool person, worked hard and didn't complain. It's a shame her shop lost a good worker because someone felt offended about what she did behind closed doors :greddy:

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

What happened to "Don't ask, don't tell?" Is that policy over?

5. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

There was a female in a carpenter unit when I was over in Panama. This girl had her hair buzzcutted, and she was basically a man. Nobody even realized she was a female in my unit till she took off her jacket and worked in her brown t. It was pretty obvious that she was a lesbian, as she was doing anything in her power to be like a man. She worked hard though, and nobody in her unit seemed to give her any shit at all.

We also have a soldier in the squad I was attached to that is suspected. Nobody really gives a shit though, including me. Maybe its because we are reservists, or because we are from Miami. The guys in his regular squad rib him all the time, and make all sorts of jokes, but the kid jokes right back with them, works hard, and it seems he would be completely protected by the NCOs in his unit.
    Way I see it, as long as someone does what they do, and dont try to force their lifestyle on to you, I could honestly give a fuck what they are taking home at night

6. insomnia

insomnia New Member

We have "homosexual awareness training" every year, but I don't remember all the details. Basically you are allowed to be gay in the military, as long as you don't do any gay acts or flaunt the fact you're gay. Pretty fucking retarded :weak:

At the BX last year (PX for other branches :mamoru: ) there were two gay black dudes, one was over 6 foot and the other a tad over 5, and they were going nuts trying to find bedding for their hampster :eek4:

It was the most gay scene I've ever seen, them bitching and slapping each other arguing while trying to figure out which the hampster would like better. I kept imagining the south park with Lemmiwinks :eek4:

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

That would kill the hampster...

so you are allowed to be gay in the military, but not to have gay sex?

8. insomnia

insomnia New Member

That's the impression I got, never needed to really research it myself :hsugh:

9. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

we send em all to the navy.

10. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

oral and anal sex is out per the ucmj too :rofl:

11. insomnia

insomnia New Member

I think everything besides missionary with married adults is out, and forced sex or with a kid under 12 can be punished with life in prision without parole :eek4: :Ownedd:

12. Zee

Zee New Member

There were a pair of lesbians in my previous unit that were open about their relationship.....I had no problem working wiht them they were very cool people....BUT

When my faince and I got togehther, our commander took us aside.....or at least my fiance and told her that she didnt want married couples in our unit......so we left, and dropped an IG complaint on her desk :Ownedd:

I have no problem with gay couples in units......but when the fucking commander allows that to happen (which is against Regs)....then chastizes us for wanting to get married (which is NOT against regs) we got a little pissed