How are Asus laptops?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pyehac, Apr 29, 2009.

1. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

Yes, I fix computers, but I've never seen enough Asus-brand laptops to 'properly rate' them.

I've been using Asus motherboards ever since I've built desktop computers (3 desktops, one SFF) so I know the quality is there in their motherboards. How's the quality on their laptops? (specifically cooling and overall design)

(I don't know if I should include netbooks since they're cheap)

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

they're ok, varies per model
    low end sucks, mid is so so, high end is good

note that asus/asustek is an ODM (orig design manufacturer)
    they build laptops for OEMs such as Dell, Apple, Sony, HP, etc, which really just rebadge and add their proprietary shit

one thing is consistent,.... they have shitty support

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

this

Their computers are halfway decent, but if anything breaks on them, expect a long RMA process, and shitty support.

4. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

I'm not worried about support - if I'm spending the money for a laptop with an upgradable video card I might as well go with something I can replace myself.

My Compaq laptop failed because of Nvidia's shitty chipset overheated, so this laptop will be my gaming computer until I can upgrade my 4 year old desktop.

(of course, I won't spending the big bucks through places like alienware or voodoo PCs or whatever)

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

some of those alienware/voodoo pcs, and even your compaq was probably built by asus anyway.

that's one trick i learned,... if i want this kick ass expensive laptop, find the ODM version of it. its probably a hell lot cheaper.

asus is fine.
    i would recommend Sager if you want MXM. these are built by Clevo, another ODM who also makes alienware/voodoo laptops.
    just stay away from Acer. they build their own, and they suck.