SRS How addictive are pain pills?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Socrates, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Hey guys :wavey:

The most drugs I have ever done in my life is I smoked weed ONE time my senior year in high school. Honestly, the only reason I did it was to prove to my friends that I could do it once and never do it again.

However, a couple of situations in my life lately has lead me to taking pain pills a lot. Purklacets and Hydrocodone (sp?).

The first reason is because of my favorite hobby. I was 7-0 as an amateur MMA fighter, and then I had knee surgery. It still hurts a lot. I trained for my next fight with the knee pain with no pills and ended up losing the fight. It went all 3 rounds and I only lost based on points. I simply couldn't train hard because of my knee pain and was very inactive during the fight. I was too scared to get tired. I've discovered that taking these pain pills allow me to train much harder. I'm only one or two fights from turning professional, so this is very important to me.

The other situation is that I got laid off from work 3 months ago. I strongly believe that I have a chemical imbalance in my brain. I completely love life when I take Welbutrin (anti-depressant). However, being laid off means my insurance ran out and I no longer received Welbutrin for free. I'm a single Dad who lives alone in a house with my 2-year-old daughter --- I can't really afford a $100/month prescription.

I find myself wanting these pills more and more, not only to help with my knee pain, but to just feel better all the time in the absence of my anti-depressants.

I don't take strong dosages. One 5mg pill a day works pretty good for me.

The knee pain isn't that big of an issue anymore. I mostly take them just because I like the way they make me feel. My anti-depressants make me feel just as good though.

Should I just stop now? Like I said, I've never struggled with addictions of any kind, and I could easily stop taking this shit now. Am I being paranoid? Are there any generic versions of anti-depressants that I could take for much cheaper?

Help!

2. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

Many are basically legal herion, the most addictive drug out there.

3. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

they're extremely addictive. I know from personal experience.

sucks about your insurance.

4. jonno

jonno New Member

stop now while you can.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

which is it? can you stop taking them? or do you want to take them more and more?

btw, you're on the road to addiction. keep it up and you'll seal the deal.

6. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I don't really think that what I said was contradictory. I have found myself wanting them more and more, but I'm not at or anywhere near the point where I couldn't just stop.

7. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

quit for a month to test yourself. if you still find yourself craving pills at the end of the month, don't go back.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

so stop cold turkey and see exactly how much you really want them.

you're giving us the classic "I could quit AT ANY TIME!" argument........try it and see what happens.

9. jonno

jonno New Member

listen. i have been there. i used these things recreationally for 3 years before it really became a problem in my life. once a month, once a week, couple times a week, you get the idea. for some it only takes a month and for me it took years. but eventually it catches up to you.

no one is an addict and everyone 'has it under control' ;)

10. notcreative

notcreative New Member

Very addictive. get off them as soon as you can.

It fucked me up for several months after I had neck surgery. (plus the fucking constipation is ridiculously annoying)

11. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I see what you guys are saying.

Now that I think about it, spending $2.50 or $3 on a pill isn't a whole lot different than what I would be spending on anti-depressants with no insurance.

I'll make an appointment soon to get back on some generic form of Welbutrin and forget about the pain pills. I've noticed a drastic decline in my discipline since being off of them anyways.

12. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

:hsugh:

OP, opiate addiction is not something you want to play with. I highly recommend you stop the MMA until you have insurance, especially since you have a girl to take care of. You also do NOT want to become addicted to them because its an expensive habit and if you get to the point of real physical addiction withdraw can take you out of commission for days.

13. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

Yeah, that's one thing that is kind of hard to get your mind around after you slip into dependence on something. Generally the doctor prescribed alternative ends up being cheaper, sometimes by a lot.

I was drinking a case of beer a day or more, Canadian ones so 12, worked out to about 600 bucks a month, even with no insurance antidepressants are only 50-150 a month here. I wasn't drinking because I was depressed though so perhaps that's a bad example.

14. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

wow this is pretty whack. pretty sad for you to even imply (even if you did not mean to) that these pills will pave your way to becoming pro...have you not worked your ass off for however many years before to get to where you are now? I mean most people don't say that a pill allowed them to train harder. maybe these pills are fucking with your logic a bit, because training harder is something you should choose to do. I can think of various football professional players that played in superbowls with broken ankles and other pretty serious injuries....so i am going to say that you are misinterpreting this situation a little :eek3:

:hsugh:

i sure do hope you just at worst resort to taking the wellbutrin and forget about the pain pills. but with that logic, you are likely to head down the wrong road :hs:

15. Socrates

Socrates New Member

You have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about. Many people say that pain pills have allowed them to train harder.

Pain pill addictions are quite common in Mixed Martial Arts, Wrestling, Jiu-Jitsu, and other combat sports.

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/3/17/1377997/james-irvin-ready-to-start-anew

Taking pain pills won't pave the way for anyone to become pro. I've done that myself. What pain pills allow fighters to do is take away the pain long enough for a decent training session. I'm not defending the idea, but that's why they do it.

16. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

I'm glad you realize that it's costing you the same amount or more for the pain pills. And you'll only keep spending more and more on them once your tolerance gets higher.

17. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

In taking the pills are you a better father? Are you a better friend? Are you a better person or are you just different?

18. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

Don´t fuck around with them

They can RUIN you

19. hypotenuse

hypotenuse New Member

If you take pain pills over a period of time, you are almost guaranteed to become addicted. Count on it. What varies is your reaction once you stop taking them. Some people quit with no mentionable effects. Some people just become jittery and agitated for a day or so. Some just have trouble sleeping accompanied with night sweats and weird dreams. Some crave more and more pills. Be honest with your doctor. Tell him exactly how you feel. He may want to wane you off instead of cold turkey.

20. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:rofl: Come on, you don't honestly expect me to believe you aren't aware how highly addictive painkillers are, do you?

21. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I don't know if it's because I live in the meth capital of the world, but pain pills aren't that big around my area. It wasn't until I got into mixed martial arts did I meet people who took them without prescriptions.

I've never met anyone who ruined their lives over them or anything.

I was aware that they could be addicting, but I was hoping to hear of first-hand experiences by making this thread, which I have. A lot of good replies and a few good PM's as well.

22. Socrates

Socrates New Member

There is no possible way for me to say "I'm not addicted" without everyone saying "TYPICAL ADDICT RESPONSE!!!", but I'm not addicted to them. I haven't taken one since before I made this thread and it doesn't bother me in the least.

I'm not going to take them anymore. I was mostly only taking them in the absense of my anti-depressants. I almost always took 5mg.

I drink a beer every once in a while, does that make me an alcoholic? I took ONE 5mg pill probably 3 or 4 times a week, and I've only been doing it for a short period of time. I was just trying to get some insight on if I should cut it off before it became a problem or not.

I've never had a problem with any form of drugs in my life, and I don't have one now. It was just something I started taking for my knee pain, then started taking in the absense of my anti-depressants. The effects of the pill would literally last for 2 or 3 hours.

Yeah, I could of looked on some webmd website or some shit, but I like talking on OT more and hearing actual responses from people.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  23. jonno

jonno New Member

heh, keep talking to the guys at the gym who use. soon enough you'll have 'met someone' who ruined their life.

24. jonno

jonno New Member

all i see here is you justifying your use.

25. Socrates

Socrates New Member

That's not what I was doing, but its frustrating when you guys are talking to me like I'm some pilled out junkie.

I realize, especially after making this thread, that it isn't good to take them and that they can be a problem.

Good, I learned BEFORE I became addicted. You guys can't comprehend that taking pills does not always equal being addicted to taking pills. I have never been and am not addicted to ANY drugs. I do realize that I would have EVENTUALLY became addicted, but I was nowhere near that point yet.

I appreciate the responses, especially yours Jonno because it was very insightful, but holy fuck I am about to pull my hair out at the black and white attitudes in this thread. Either you don't take them at all or you're a junkie!