SRS Housing Issues...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by klizzle, Dec 17, 2008.

1. klizzle

klizzle New Member

I need some input on whether my logic here is way off:

So I currently am living in a 6 person house with some of my friends at college. We have an extra room open because one of my friends is sharing a room with his gf. We decided it would be smart to get someone else to live with us since we have the extra room, and I found a friend who'd be willing to live here. We were going to charge him a little cheaper rent since the room isn't as nice as some of the others. The problem is because we cannot decided how to split up my friends rent. The couple that are sharing a room seem to think they deserve a bigger portion of the rent because they are paying two people's rent for the same room. I think we should split the rent equally since nothing really entitles them to the room. Here's some of an e-mail he sent me about it today while I was at work:

Am I just way off base here? He's paying to rent his spot in this house, what makes him think he deserves more of the rent we charge my friend?

2. prototism

prototism Guest

I'm sorry, but $3400 for a room?

:eek3:

3. klizzle

klizzle New Member

it's per semester, we're talking about next semester. They both signed the lease and then decided to live in the same room

4. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

then they should split the rent for the room and the new person should pay whatever is left over.

they are renting a room, not a spot. if they are occupying the same room, then they have to decide between them how to split the cost of the room. its no one elses business

5. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

who owns the house?

6. bluefox1081

bluefox1081 New Member

Split the rent per room. Charge them one fee, and however they decide to divide that fee between them is their decision.

However, all other expenses should be split per person.

7. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I am going to assume you have 6 rooms and rent is $10,200 total a semester.

I would make each room $1700. So if that one couple is sharing a room, they would only have to pay $850 each, if a new roommate will be occupying the "empty room". Honestly, its sounds like in any relationship, once you start dating, you typically sleep together a lot, BUT you always have your own room/place to run to when you need space.

OR

I would say the rent is $10,200 / x where x is the number of people., but once again you will have to convince someone to share a room.

8. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

this is always an issue...some people think that two couples living together should get a discount...and some don't. Fact is that they still use all the utilities as 2 people and common area as two people.

If you have that many people can you take a vote and agree that majority rules? Also, how much does the extra $ mean to you, enough to ruin a friendship/housemate relationship?

9. klizzle

klizzle New Member

Thanks for your responses. I'm actually the guy splitting the room with my GF, but posted from the other point of view to try and get some unbiased answers. Personally I think every bit of rent the extra person pays should go to me and my gf, but when I realized people weren't going to buy it (because he's still sharing common area etc) I asked for only half of the rent to go to me and my GF and STILL am getting shit for it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  10. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I'd say an equal share, PER PERSON is fair.

ie) The couple gets double what everyone else gets.

Personally, if I were the couple, I'd want almost the entire rent, since they're effectively renting both rooms

11. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

that deserves paying something extra, but not double the rent

12. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I think that's fair, since you and your girlfriend are effectively renting both rooms, and only choosing to use one. Therefore, the renting of the extra room is renting YOUR extra room, and you should only have to compensate the roommates for the extra usage of space, and crampage from a 7th person.

Half the extra rent seems more than fair to me.

Ask them this: Would they agree to pay the full amount of rent they're paying now if someone stayed in their room with them?

13. Coddle

Coddle New Member

qft

14. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

If I were you, I would keep my stuff in the "extra bedroom". Sounds like you are going to get the short end of the deal.

15. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

:werd: either no extra roommate and use the extra room for stuff (you've got to be cramped), or pocket the majority of the extra rent