A&P Hot Import Nights in Atlantic City - Please Critique

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by LowLikeWhoaF150, May 27, 2006.

1. This was my first time at HIN having a SLR. It sucked not having a selection of nice lenses to use but luckily I have friends and I got to borrow a Canon 17-35L. For the show that lens was :bowdown: awesome. I want to get one, but I think I'll spend the extra couple hundred and get the 16-35. Also I really need a flash, I didn't even bother taking pics of any girls because I knew it'd be an issue. There might be alittle camera shake on some pics because I was pressing the shutter release by hand, then a friend let me borrow his remote so I had fun with that also.

Well anyways here's some pics. tell me some tips and shit. :bigthumb:

I know the pic could probably use alittle cropping but I actually like seeing the ceiling, it looks pretty sweet.
    [​IMG]

this just looks like a scene from the fast and the furious. :mamoru:
    [​IMG]

people walk around with little flashlights so they can see the detail of the cars. :hs: This little fucker just couldnt wait till I was done taking my shot... :mamoru: :greddy:
    [​IMG]

Just a hot ass
    [​IMG]

GT40 :wackit:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2006
  2. And acouple of my favorites

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. if I have free time tomorrow I'll resize a few more :)

4. J

J Active Member

that's a sweet shot of the gt

5. Blair

Blair New Member

jesus how dark do they keep it in there if people need flashlights.

6. Replicant

Replicant New Member

Not bad.

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

was it a 16-35 or actually the old 17-35?

and rice makes baby jesus cry.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

lol @ carerra turbo badge on honda

9. I remember that he said the lens was like $700 or somewhere around there. Also I checked the exif on one of the pics and I saw 17mm. I'm pretty sure it was a 16-35L.

10. I have a few more similar shots of the gt, I'll upload them tonight.

11. patina

patina OT Supporter

Soft.

:io:

12. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

you should get the 17-55 ef-s...looks to be a winner and a bit less $$ than the 16-35

13. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

You handheld that GT40 shot for six seconds? God damn I suck at teh fotoing...

14. joy division

joy division New Member

no flash allowed? How is it so fucking dark in there?

15. delslow

delslow my car may not be fast, but the back window goes d

what ISO were you shooting at?

16. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Flash is allowed but the shots don't look all that great unless you use a tripod and work with the piss poor club-style lighting.

17. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

I've always hated shooting at HIN due to the people walking in front of you, the lack of light in most areas and then areas where you do have it, it'll be harsh.

The only shot I'd use of the bunch is the S2000. I'd crop it tigther on the right, though. The Neon (last shot, orange car... I think it's a Neon) shot is pretty good. In focus, good exposure... crop off a little on the bottom, though, and a little on the right so that the license plate frame is out of the image.

One of the things you'll learn at SEMA and HIN is proper positioning depending where the light source is. For example, in the Ford GT shot, the light source is on the driver side and at the rear. Rather than shooting on the passenger side, take it from the other side. I'm on my work comp so I can't pull up EXIF info to see the settings.

The 2nd Mustang shot could've turned out nice but it looks to be a little underexpose. An additional ~ 1 second on the shutter would've been nice.

Which lens did you use, the Canon 16-35, Tamron 17-35, Canon 17-40?

18. Canon 16-35L for most of them and I had a canon 18-55 which sucked but since neither of the lenses were mine I was happy with whatever I could get. :)

19. widebaudi

widebaudi New Member

you did pretty decently for all the different light sources and craptacular lighting at HIN events.

20. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Soft, bad WB, underexposed and ugly cars. :dunno:

you mean 17-40 f/4L? 16-35L is more like $1400. What ISO? I'm assuming you were using a tripod since I can see ghosts in most of your pictures, if that's the case you should try a heavier tripod because you are getting mad motion blur. If you weren't using a tripod, you should have been.

21. Yea I'm new to SLR's incase you never got the memo :) But it's all good, I can take it since I dish it out soo much :) And I know my shots are far from perfect.

all I remember was 17-40 or 17-35 something like that, and it was an L lens. The 16-35 caught my attention but I saw that it is an EF-S lens? :hsugh:

Yep tripod was used. Yes it is a shitty tripod. And the shake is partially due to the shitty tripod head, and another part due to I pressed the shutter release with my finger for most of the ones I posted here (except the GT40). I didn't recieve the cable release till later in the day. This was just a learning experience for me. I had fun and now I have a better idea of more equipment that I need and would like to have. I was asked by speedimpact.com if I could turn in my media to them and I agreed. I will just turn it in for free and add it to my resume :)

22. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

You could use the self timer instead of a cable release to avoid some of the vibration. You should also use custom WB on your shots and a longer exposure. I actually rather like the ghosts in the shots, I think it adds someting to an otherwise boring car show shot.

FYI, the 16-35 isn't EF-S. Actually, no L lens is EF-S. I think you're thinking of the 17-55. I think we get the idea of what you shot with though. You were probably using the 17-40 F/4L, and the extra stop of the 16-35 would have been helpful, but that lens is 2x the price.

It's nice that a website wants your pics though, congrats.

23. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

Ford GT pic :bowdown:

24. delslow

delslow my car may not be fast, but the back window goes d

Your ISO is set to 125. Bump it up to 400 or 800 and make your life a whole lot easier.

25. last time I bumped up my iso I caught hell from Viper and the other photog's :hs: