Hot Heat Sink

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Repentinus, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Recently one of my computers starting squeaking. I opened it up while running to see if I could figure out where it was coming from. Well I thought it was coming from my CPU Fan so I pulled it off and cleaned it and the heat sink. That's when I noticed that my heat sink was hot as hell. Hot enough to were I couldn't keep my fingers on it. Is that necessarily bad? Atleast the heat is transfering to the heat sink successfully.

Also....still can't find where that squeak is coming from. I'm thinking the PS but I hope not, don't have enough cash to buy another.

**EDIT**

My spelling sucks.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can replace the PSU fan yourself. You just have to be willing to void the PSU warranty to do it.

The CPU heatsink is always hot, especially if you PULLED THE FAN OFF WHILE THE COMPUTER WAS STILL ON!

That is all.

3. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Very good point. I didn't take it off while it was on. That would be asking for a fried MB.

**EDIT**

Is there a way to make the fan inside a PS spin while its not inside your computer? Will plugging it in by itself work?

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

5. DaKoreanGuy

DaKoreanGuy New Member

If you used the thermal paste that came with your heatsink most likely it's horrible quality. Use products such as Artic Silver 5 to better conduct heat away from the CPU.
    Artic Silver 5
    http://www.svc.com/as5-3g.html

Also having a better heatsink and fan combo would help if you want to cool the cpu down.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

OT Arctic Silver crew +1. Great stuff. Especially if you have a copper heatsink. Extra-especially if you have an AMD processor. Extra-extra-especially if you have a big-box computer like a Dell or an HP, which typically use a thin strip of lead foil in place of real heatsink goop.