Hot damn

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Darketernal, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Ok, i think i need some tips on computer cooling.

[​IMG]

specs

black ANTEC case piano sonata 2

the Intel® desktop board D975XBX with AA# D27094-304

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 2.93GHz 4M sharing L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Western Digital Raptor 150gb Harddisk (maby 2)

corsair 2 gig mem

But the cooling is just an absolute failure, hell neighbours must think im barbequeing every night while im browsing ot.

Given the antec is silent, there's decent cooling space, but the stuff is so cramped and is going at such a high speed for all my rediculous demands it has to keep up with, that the temperatures are WAY TOO HOT. :sad2:

Anyone has some good info and experience on building in Cooling devices.:sadwavey:

2. glamdering

glamdering New Member

Well i own a computer company and my 2 best suggestions are:

1. Buy a bigger case and get better cooling and fans

2. Go liquid cooling...i love it!

other then that look at some REALLY good and expensive cooling supply that will fit

ultimately i say build custom case they work best that is what i do for most my computers

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Those numbers look fine to me. Those microchips suck over 100W apiece; they're gonna get hot. Run Prime95 for an hour and then look at the temps; if it doesn't overheat and shut down, you're fine.

4. Vysion

Vysion New Member

More fans. You only have 1 fan cooling the system?

5. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Also better heatsinks than the stock ones would help.

And finally if you have the money and technical know-how, go liquid cooling.

6. glamdering

glamdering New Member

yeah if you don't care about noise levels look into some 10,000 RPM fans and what not God i love those things

7. deusexaethera

You must be deaf, glamdering. 10,000rpm fans are way too loud, and the irony is it barely helps at all to move that much air through the case.

Air is an insulator; it doesn't absorb heat very quickly, so it doesn't get saturated with heat very quickly either. Moving more air through the case doesn't do squat (well it does, but only very minimal) because it has to stay in contact with a heat source for quite a while before it can absorb a meaningful amount of heat.

The two places where you can make the biggest improvements in an air-cooled machine are to install good copper heatsinks (to get the heat from the CPU to the air as fast as possible) and to get a case with a top vent (like the Antec 900) to let hot air escape the case even if it's not near any fans. Installing high-speed fans won't help improve convection either, because the airflow inside a case is pretty much constant -- the fans blow through certain parts of the case, and if there's a hotspot with no airflow on day 1, it will stay a hotspot forever no matter how powerful the fans are.

It also helps to have all of the fans blowing into the case, not a mix of in and out. That increases the air pressure inside the case, which forces air to escape through gaps in the case that otherwise might never see any airflow at all. That also keeps dust from getting into the case (especially if you put filters on the fans), and that will also improve heat conductivity of the heatsinks because they'll stay cleaner.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  8. glamdering

glamdering New Member

no 1. i don't care about noise levels to much and yes airflow dose help:

if you use a large heat sink you can put a 10,000 sucking at back and the amount of air matters because if you DON'T use a CPU fan and use a straight up big heat sink heat transfers to something with less active molecules and the less heat in the air verses the heat on the heat sink will change how fast the heat transfers so if you have a fast air flow dragging in between the copper channels the air will heat up fast but move out with fresh cooler air allowing more heat to transfer....don't believe me TRY IT but make sure you have proper placement of fan and heat sink and make sure you have a good heat sink with NO fan one meant for no fan...

trust me i know what i'm talking about i own a computer buisness.

9. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

10. glamdering

glamdering New Member

and also a high RPM keeps the dust moving and dust settle ;)

11. deusexaethera

If that were the case, my old HP NetServers (that I'm finally getting rid of) would be spotless inside. I guarantee you, they are far from spotless. Even the dust has dust on it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  12. deusexaethera

Too bad you can't use punctuation. I had to read that damn post 3 times before I figured out what the hell you were saying.

Flowing air smoothly front-to-back is a great trick if you can pull it off, but very few cases can do it well. PowerMac G5's and the Antec 900 I mentioned before are just about the only machines I know of that really have good throughput front-to-back; the rest of the computers out there WILL have hotspots that can only be cooled through convection.

In any event, I'm glad you know what you're doing because you own a computer business, but I've built every computer I and my family has ever owned since 1990 (except for two laptops), so while I'm sure you know what parts can be relied on to work consistently in one machine after another, I at least know what works well in specific situations. 10,000rpm fans won't make enough difference in most setups to be worth putting up with the noise.

13. glamdering

glamdering New Member

i didn't say it would keep ALL dust out and the higher you have the less dust you get is true (depending on fan placements) ultimately just dust screen if thats your goal i DON'T recomened buying a 10,000 RPM fan to keep dust out for that get a dust screen or go liquid (the best for every thing) but if you go fans a 10,000 will keep dust levels lower but thats only if you don't care about that noise (generraly people who have computers in other rooms)

14. glamdering

glamdering New Member

like i said several times i only suggest it if you know what your doing

and to place meant if you know what your ding you can pull it off plus i do complete custom computer cases and mod other ones so i just build them wo how they need to be or change them to be that way

and as to punctuation when i use any thing like forms or IM theres not to much of a point

15. deusexaethera

Fair enough.

You build your own cases? That's one way to do it, but isn't that an awful lot of employee-hours?

16. glamdering

glamdering New Member

dude...people pay more for a custom case we put them in any thing besides i build most of the cases myself and we also do computer upgrades, repairs and every thing but i'm not going to "describe" these things because i don't want to act like i'm advertising LOL