WEB hosting game servers on a dedi

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sheep561, Jan 29, 2010.

1. sheep561

sheep561 OT Supporter

I want to rent a dedicated to host steam game servers. I will be hosting for customers and the servers must be running at optimal performance. What's the best way to figure out how much ram and bandwidth I'm going to need? I have no idea how many player slots one server can handle. I need to calculate the monthly cost of the dedicated and compare it to how much I'll be charging per player slot. I'd like to figure this out before I invest in this. Any suggestions?

2. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

i used to work part time for a gsp a few years ago.
    there is a lot of info here about steam game servers.

http://srcds.com

i will tell you, the gameserver market is really saturated. many customers are looking for the best deal and will likely go with larger providers.

as for the OS, i would recommend linux. maybe centos. you wll need an automated setup script to get the servers to your customers quickly after they pay.

good luck.

3. sheep561

sheep561 OT Supporter

Thanks for the resource, it's extremely helpful.

I'm not looking to make a killing, it's more for fun and experimenting than profit. I don't want to be losing money either though. :)

4. Fifafever

Fifafever OT Supporter

I recently took a small one over and it hasn't been easy so far. We're barely keeping afloat and we have ridiculously low prices. We can talk about my setup etc. if you're interested.