GUN Hostage situation in my town ends in gunmans death

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sarge21, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/4/13/238824.html?title=Hostage+situation+ends+with+gunman's+death+

A local man facing charges stemming from a recent DUI arrest stormed a Tampa gun shooting range Thursday afternoon, creating a hostage scenario that lasted 10-hours, snarled traffic along a major artery and ended with his death.

The hostage situation at Shooting Sports Inc. shooting range on Dale Mabry Highway ended between 3:00 and 3:30 a.m. Friday when the suspected gunman shot and killed himself.

The situation, which began just before 5 p.m. Thursday afternoon played out along one of the busiest roadways in Tampa, causing traffic backups for hours.

According to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, the hostage taker was 43-year old Jeffrey Lane Dudney. He entered the shooting range with the intent to steal a weapon, authorities said.
    Dudney apparently was unarmed when he entered the range but managed to take five hostages before later acquiring a weapon. :ugh:

Dudney was facing attempted first degree murder and DUI charges, stemming from an April 5 incident in which he fired gunshots at witnesses to a DUI crash he was involved in and tried to escape from, authorities said.

Hundreds of law enforcement officers responded to the hostage scene.

The Sheriff says Dudney told hostage negotiators he'd rather die than go to prison.

"He came to the door several times with a gun to the head of hostages,'' Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee said in a news conference carried live on Bay News 9. "Every time we would take to him he would talk to him, he would bring all the hostages to the front (door).''

Hundreds of law enforcement officers responded to the scene as the tense situation continued throughout the afternoon and into the evening.
    Dudney eventually released two of the hostages before taking his own life. The other three hostages exited the building after Dudney shot himself.

During the situation, law enforcement officers asked Bay News 9 and baynews9.com to not broadcast or publish any details during the standoff, as Dudney told them he'd shoot his hostages one by one if he saw extensive news coverage.

The station and the website obliged that request.

2. feetball

feetball New Member

So he stormed a gun range, with no weapon, took hostages (all of which most likely had weapons), and THEN acquired a weapon? WTF?

3. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

How in the hell did that happen?

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

wow. I just do not understand that at all...

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i know rite :rofl: :wtf:

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

how did he not get sprayed?! something?! I'm totally at a loss...

7. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

Yea, its crazy huh? I heard about this yesterday

8. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

He probably walked in there with a gun that just happened to be very nice. Then when he shot himself someone called dibs and they decided to tell the cops the bad guy had just taken it from him. Free gun ftw.:bigthumb:

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

now that I can understand...

10. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

my thoughts exactly

11. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Crazy...

12. I've been to the gun range around my house a couple times and I've been pretty nervous around some of those people. Gangster looking dudes coming in shooting with the gun sideways and shooting as fast as they can, "BAMBAMBAMBAMBAM....Yeah son, yeah".

13. Crossett

Crossett New Member

people like that get kicked out of my range

14. murph38_99

murph38_99 OG Silver Member

I live in Tampa too! I smell a OTWMD shoot coming up, either that or the wings I had for lunch are already working. I was just about to post this story
    http://www.townhall.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?contentGUID=79e34349-9b2d-41dd-8950-1aa3940e56bf

This is the same place that has accidental suicides in the past from ricochets... They also have the same "weapon must be in a case, unloaded before entering" policy, so the hostages must have been vunerable. I've gone in several times, and their clerks aren't carrying. I only shoot there as a last resort...

also,
    http://www.sptimes.com/2002/06/09/Hillsborough/Police_identify_man_w.shtml

edit: it actually is the wings too..omg it smells so bad my chief walked out of the office....

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  15. I over heard a cop talking about how he doesn't like going there because he's shooting at a target that looks like the guy next to him, and that guys shooting at a target that looks like a cop haha.

16. Crossett

Crossett New Member

yup