WEB Host pre-installed software...why so out dated?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Jul 8, 2008.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Why do hosts offer "at a click installation" of certain software, yet offer really old versions?

Joomla
    Wordpress
    phpbb

etc...

All offered, but all several versions old. Is the host too lazy to stay updated? Or is this for license reasons? I can install (manually) the current version, but if you are looking for "easy" I can install the old version with one click.

Just curious...

2. Comtrad

Comtrad Guest

I'm leaning towards lazy.

3. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Just me...but doesn't it seem like that would be an easy way to boost "your" product over the competition? You can find a gazillion host providers out there...little things like that can set them apart from the next guy. Especially for the novice designer who is looking for simplicity...

4. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

yeah, must just be lazy, all that stuff is free, there's no licensing issues (i dont think) mine are all updated on my server and me and 1 other person are the only one that use it haha

5. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

Godaddy is pretty good with most recent versions. Who's your host?

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Actually, I'm leaning towards marketing strategy, rather than lazy. When your average user hears all this mumbo jumbo server this, server that, dns, domain forwarding... It's a lot to take in for someone who doesn't know too much about web hosting. They can sell you both on simplicity and off your ignorance by telling you that certain software is pre-installed. Most average users looking for a web host are designers who don't know too much about hosting.

One of our designers at work purchased godaddy hosting simply because it had the Drupal logo on it. Which is a primary CMS we used at work. I asked why on earth he went with GoDaddy and he said "Because they have Drupal installed on their servers". :hsugh:

7. Half-Time

Half-Time OT Supporter

Alot of times the software is provided by Fantastico. We have to wait for them to update their software before cPanel will update their software, which in turn will be done when hosts upgrade their cPanel.

8. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

There's a lead time between a new script version being released and it being available to install via a one-click installer (usually via cpanel/fantastico).