Horribly out of shape, 5'8" 220lbs -- Want to lose 20lbs in 30 days

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Hym3n, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hym3n

Hym3n New Member

Plain and simple I'm not looking good anymore. I've had weight problems all my life, and I understand that a simple matter of dieting isn't going to make me lose weight as much as a lifestyle change will. I know a lot about all of this, but it'd be nice just to hear it from someone else. Here's my situation:

5'8" male
    220 pounds
    ??% BMI

I'm fat. Really not much muscle, I'm not very strong. My legs are, as I played hockey for 11 years when I was younger, but I'm sure that most of that has gone away and turned to fat as well. I could probably bench 140lbs if I struggled.

My immediate goal is to drop 20 pounds by Oct. 31st. I'm a college student with access to a pretty nice rec. center. I can go five days a week without hesitation. Eating is the hard part, as I live on campus, and food selections are limited. Fortunately, the dorm I live in is the "healthy" dorm, and serves a variety of low-cal/low-fat foods. I strongly dislike fish and vegetables however, and as mentioned, I know that this requires a lifestyle change, but I'm not sure that I'm wanting to accomodate eating foods that taste like crap 90% of the time to drop pounds. All meat is great, chicken probably topping the list, although I'm afraid of man boobs (I have them as it is, want them to go away, and from what I hear, eating chicken won't do anything to help that).

Drink-wise, I've got no problem with mass quantities of water per day. That's what I've had to drink 99.99% of the time since Dec. 31st '06, and won't be a problem for the rest of the year. Its the one resolution that I've always been able to keep.

Like I said, for now, I'm just wanting to lose weight, without much emphasis on building muscle. That will come later. My goal is 20lbs. in 30 days (by Oct. 31st), and I'd like to get there without any drugs, extreme dieting, starvation, or bulimia.

What routines should I go for? Jog on the treadmill for 60 minutes a day? All cardio stuff? What kind of calorie goals should I set? Do I still need to maintain 2,000 cal/day? I could easily do less...

What foods are restricted? How much bread can I eat? Obviously no sugar, but aside from plain meat and bananas, what can I eat regularly?

2. Mippity

Mippity New Member

Relax, no it isn't going to happen. Spend an hour going through the stickies and archives. Before you drop your bucket of KFC ... do some research because you are not going to have any success when you have no idea what you are talking about or what is realistic. Good luck though.

3. Mippity

Mippity New Member

Oh, the only realistic way to do this in a more or less healthy fashion is lipo IMHO.

4. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

10-15lbs is probably a more realistic goal

5. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

It's not happening. Sorry.

You don't have the attitude for it.

Don't like veggies? Too bad. Don't want to go on a strict diet? Too bad.

We've heard every story from a TON of people who have come through F&N and every other board imaginable. We know what you're going through, and we DEFINITELY KNOW what's going through your mind. Your situation is no different than anybody else's.

I was an overweight 225 once. I wanted to lose 20 pounds in 30 days. I didn't want to eat vegetables. I didn't want to diet hard. And I know the college dorm and food plan situation just as well.

Know what I eventually realized after a lot of failing? Too bad. Suck it up. Do what you have to do and shut up about it.

How satisfied are you about eating a cupcake vs. a salad an hour later? No different. It's just food. Don't live to eat. Eat to live.

You want to make a serious physical change? Time to get SERIOUS then.

I'm not being a dick. I'm actually being a lot nicer about it than a lot of people are going to be. In fact, this thread will probably get locked.

6. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

Selecting a weight goal is probably the worse thing someone heavy can do.

7. Hym3n

Hym3n New Member

Damn, F&N is tough! I appreciate the responses guys, keep them coming. I'm all ears.

8. Pringles

Pringles New Member

this is a similar note to his, but basically it's a lifestyle choice. You don't just get fat then go lets goto the gym this week and your back to normal. You have to choose to change the way you eat, sleep, drink, and lift. It's not just a simple process. Basically you can either man up or shut up. I too goto college and yes it's not easy, but it can be done as I'm sure many other guys do it too. Just don't look around the college gym for the right answers.

9. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

How about this. Don't listen to anything we say. Do what you think is good.

Then come back in 30 days when you might be a pound or 2 less. Do this for 5 months, until you're so fed up and have a FIRE under your ass to do something.

Or SUCK IT UP for a few months, eat right, lift, and do cardio. There's no magic pill.

10. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

this hasn't been tough at all yet. Throw out your goal and suck it up.

Here are some real goals...
    1- Read the stickys on this page.
    2- Don't even think about going to the gym or doing a single exercise till you pick and commit to one of the routines we have here.
    3- Don't even think about buying any healthy foods till you pick a solid diet. Figure out what kind of calories you need to consume.

You can finish these goals today (probably within 2.5hrs) since we have all that info here in the stickys. You can start exercise and diet tomorrow. Depends on how serious you are.

Once you get all that out of the way, you can make new goals that are easy to achieve and set on a daily level. Like this...

Eat Meal 1
    cardio
    eat Meal 2
    eat Meal 3
    eat Meal 4
    Workout
    Eat Meal 5

Thats it. Do something like that and fat will fly off. You won't care about scale weight. Its irrelevant at this point.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

allthatshit.jpg

12. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

90 minutes of cardio each day
    resistance training each day
    lipo-6 or EC stack
    No simple carbs (white bread, non-whole wheat flour, no rice, no pasta, no sugar, no HFC)
    Replace protein with carbs
    Restrict caloric intake
    7 days a week.

You need to go twice day six days a week. You may not lose 25 pounds, but you will lose weight no matter what. Maybe 15 pounds, maybe only 10, but you have made a significant change to your lifestyle. It is about routine; create one stick to it at all costs, and eventually it becomes the norm and you will not stray away from it.

13. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

You need to be patient with yourself and your body... or else you'll just end up being disappointed.
    Be realistic about your goals.
    I used to be like you and set way out of my league goals, like 10 lbs in 2 weeks... and it would never happen. And I'd just give up at the end.

So take it slow, and listen to the advice that everyone here is giving you.

Good luck :)

14. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Stop giving advice

15. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

This isn't going to happen until you realize you're going to have to do things you don't want to do.

16. deznutz

deznutz New Member

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

start lifting and start eating right
    make a more realistic goal.

17. Hym3n

Hym3n New Member

Alright. Per one of the first replies I read the stickies. Guess I should've started there, I'm sorry! I love the sound of HIIT. Read through the basic routine info there, which pretty much boils down to 8 weeks of getting your heart rate up for an increasing amount of time each workout for a short period of time overall. So I hopped on the treadmill and busted my ass for 4 minutes. Continuing that HIIT plan will be no problem for me.

Eating oatmeal, tuna, eggs shouldn't be a problem. From my understanding I need about ~350g/protein a day. How the hell am I supposed to obtain that? Obviously, every meal needs to contain it, but that seems like a huge number. What about carbs? Do I keep them mostly as low as possible?

Also, as far as supplements go, should I even bother with half of that stuff? For now I'm mostly interested in just losing weight and not particularly bodybuilding. YES, I do want to build muscle mass, but not currently. Once this goal (or at least once I get my BMI down) is obtained then I'll be ready to start lifting more regularly. Is whey and eating mass quantities of carbs through "optimum chocolate whey" really what I want right now?

18. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

WTF at 350g protein/ day. Carbs are not a problem, it is the simple ones like table surgar, white flour, and HFC (high fructose corny syrup) for people who are dieting or not leading active lifesytles. Your body processes them into glycogen at an efficient rate, and if not used for aerobic or anaerobic activity, is turned into fat. Complex carbs like oats, whole wheats, vegetables, etc. take longer to digest and keep you fuller longer.

Also, breakup your workout into two parts; do cardio in the morning for like 45 minutes. Shower go to school, come back at the end of the day do another half hour and do some resistance training. You will increase your resting metabolic rate and creates a negative calorie balance. You can do this 5 to 7 days a week depending on your current shape, as long as your mixing up the types of cardio (bikes, elipitcals, rowing, running, etc) along with resistance training.

19. AlohaRacing

AlohaRacing Freak that bitch out

:rofl: How did you calculate 350 grams??

20. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

Don't listen to a single word of this. It's the quickest way to destroy your body.

21. lemans23

I am a product of OT F and N, through and through. I came to this forum weighing just under 240lbs in February at age 18 and decided that I was tired of looking unhealthy. I came on here, made a thread about it, and had my balls bitten off for being a n00b. Then, i went into the archives and read up on my shit. Got a lot of good info. I currently weigh 167.5 as a freshman in the dorms here, so don't tell me the food holds you back. I lost my weight 100% clean and clear, so here's what I did:

1. Water, water, water! This is crucial to your success. The classic 64oz a day mantra is for fucking homemakers who have nothing better to do than sit on their ass and cry over a quart of cookie dough ice cream. Have water with you at all times, and when you realize you haven't drank enough from that bottle, down it then and there. You should only be drinking water, tea or coffee. If it's going to be sweetened, make sure it's from sugar, not syrup or artificial sweetener. I do not recommend drinking anything sweetened as you won't use those calories and it isn't satisfying anyway. Green tea, coffee, water.

2. The food you buy is crucial. You must buy lean meats and vegetables. When you see a McDonalds double cheeseburger has 40g of protein in it, don't buy it. It's not going to help. Get lots of lean chicken and fish. You said, you don't like fish? Too bad, I'm allergic to most fish and I eat tuna everyday even though it makes my mouth burn. You can get through it if I can.

3. Working out isn't something you do to lose weight, it's something to do with your time. It's key that you realize this, because when you use the treadmill for an hour the first time and see that you lost 3lbs, you'll be estatic. The next morning when you see that you've gained it back again, you'll think it was useless. Don't workout to drop weight, work out to have fun. You'll feel better. Don't give us this bullshit about how you will do 60 minutes on the treadmill. That's a fucking lie, so don't even start. Find something you like, walking or jumping rope maybe. Just do it a few times a week and you'll be set.

4. The biggest part of this is the mentality. You can have all the personal trainers and OT members telling you what to do, but if you don't want it, it won't happen. This sounds obviously, but I'd stab myself to make the point as clear as I can. Wanting to lose 20lbs in 30 days is fucking retarded, to be quite frank. Anyone to makes goals such as this want the image without the work, or just want to see the numbers on the scale. Snap the fuck out of it. If you're overweight, then change your lifestyle, don't diet and exercise to lose 10 lbs before the beach season. With that said, once you've adapted your mindset, if you want to make goals to yourself like to be at 210 in 2 weeks, and then you can have a cheat meal or to be at 190 by Christmas, then so be it. Don't set definitive weightloss goals as you haven't done anything and will feel that you have, in which case you will eat more and gain it back.

Trust me on everything I've told you. I've been overweight my entire life. It sucks. People really don't like you as much, and judge you differently. Change your life for the better and see what you can accomplish.

22. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Did I ever say all at once? :rofl:

23. AlohaRacing

AlohaRacing Freak that bitch out

Nice work and better AV. :bigthumb:

24. lemans23

Just shut up and read, seriously.

25. lemans23

:ugh: That's the point, it didn't help anything at all. You told him to replace protein with carbs...:ugh:

Don't eat pasta because it's a simple carbohydrate? :ugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.