Horrible System Performance

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nuttertmf, Jul 21, 2009.

1. nuttertmf

nuttertmf New Member

I tried to troubleshoot this online but kept coming up with people who had spyware issues or too little free space.

I had vista 64bit on my computer and everything was peachy. All of a sudden it started taking forever to start up.

At the post screen it writes out:

"Main process : Intel(R) 2.66GHz (266x10.0)
    Memor"

Sometimes it doesn't even start to display the word memory and sometimes it partially makes it through. It hangs there for about 30 seconds and then proceeds as normal (and snappy) but then takes an eternity to enter into windows.

When I run memtest it runs HORRIBLY slow. If I let it boot into windows (working off a fresh install of Vista it runs FLAWLESS if I am in the web browserj but if I access stuff off the HD or make a folder or move files, it takes forever.

What kind of hardware problem could this be? And what can I rule out? Kinda a noob at troubleshooting, I am doing a memtest right now even though it is running slow and when it was in windows I got a SMART monitor for my HDs one was at 98% health the other at 58% saying the write error something was holding it down (I booted with that harddrive unplugged and got the same result)

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hardware problem. Sounds like an old-fashioned IRQ conflict. Suffer through booting into Windows, open Device Manager, and see if there are any problems in the hardware list (designated by ! signs).

EDIT: Or I could try reading your whole post. Your hard drive is taking a shit. Plug it into another computer, copy all the files you can, then run a disk check and see if it throws up a ton of errors. It's possible that repeated disk checks could fix all the errors successfully, but more likely you'll need to get a new hard drive.

3. nuttertmf

nuttertmf New Member

Will try that out thanks.

4. nuttertmf

nuttertmf New Member

The computer has 2 HD's so I unplugged my main system one to install windows on the secondary drive and it is still hanging on the post screen. Shouldn't it instantly be better if that was the problem?

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If you have two sticks of RAM, pull one out and try it, then swap them. See if it makes any difference.

6. nuttertmf

nuttertmf New Member

Just tried that, no difference. Also was kinda hot in there so I left it unplugged for like 30 min and that didnt do anything. Maybe it is the motherboard :(

7. nuttertmf

nuttertmf New Member

ugh its like everytime I go to my computer it starts running terribly. Cant be the processor right? because then it would run shitty all the time.

Cant be the HD because it starts up like trash when they are both unplugged

Cant be the memory (still have yet to run a full memtest but I have swapped the sticks out and it still starts up the same.

I reset my bios settings.

Has to be the motherboard right?

8. nuttertmf

nuttertmf New Member

Thanks for all the responses. Apparently it was my card reader. I unplugged everything (cd rom drive and all) and it started up fine. I plugged things back in and it seems the card reader was the culprit. That is aggravating. Thanks again for all the responses :)

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Good job being persistant though - always good to strip it all the way back.